Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roakuser
Channel Surfer

Roku Media Player video cover art

Jump to solution

Roku Media Player finds and plays movies and videos from my synology upnp Media Server just fine.

What it doesn't do, though, is display cover art.

I've used Device Spy to check the xml Synology is delivering, and the correct url for the cover art is provided there for each movie.

All RMP should need to to is hit that url to get the image...Why doesn't it display the provided art?

Here's a single item excerpt of the xml provided by the media server:

<DIDL-Lite xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:sec="http://www.sec.co.kr/" xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/"><item id="44$@13811" parentID="44$1512" restricted="1">
<dc:title>[The movie]</dc:title>
<upnp:class>object.item.videoItem</upnp:class>
<dc:date>2020-05-05T08:28:35</dc:date>
<upnp:albumArtURI dlna:profileID="JPEG_TN">[ipaddress]:50002/transcoder/jpegtnscaler.cgi/vfolderart/13811.jpg</upnp:albumArtURI>
<res  protocolInfo="http-get:*:video/mp4:DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=01700000000000000000000000000000" resolution="1804x1080" size="17758270709" bitrate="3071395" duration="1:36:21.000" nrAudioChannels="1" sampleFrequency="48000">[ipaddress]:50002/v/NDLNA/13811.mp4</res><res  protocolInfo="http-get:*:image/jpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=JPEG_TN;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=00f00000000000000000000000000000">[ipaddress]:50002/transcoder/jpegtnscaler.cgi/vfolderart/13811.jpg</res></item>
</DIDL-Lite>
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
roakuser
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Media Player video cover art

Jump to solution

Well, after hours and days I managed to solve this one for my case.

The Synology media server has profiles for how it presents its media.

I had switched it from Default (no art, limited metadata) to Roku for my Roku devices, assuming that would be best for well, Rokus (still no art, limited metadata).

Turns out, the profile I really wanted was 'Default with video station metadata'. With this profile, the cover art shows up and it has the benefit of providing detailed metadata from Synology's Video Station database.

So, if anyone else's set up matches mine, there's your solution.

Although, I still don't have a technical reason for why Roku Media Player was ignoring the provided cover art with the 'Roku' and 'Default' Synology profiles. The xml looks the same with each profile, so I guess the art and metadata Roku uses comes from an additional endpoint provided by the Media Server I haven't found yet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
roakuser
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, after hours and days I managed to solve this one for my case.

The Synology media server has profiles for how it presents its media.

I had switched it from Default (no art, limited metadata) to Roku for my Roku devices, assuming that would be best for well, Rokus (still no art, limited metadata).

Turns out, the profile I really wanted was 'Default with video station metadata'. With this profile, the cover art shows up and it has the benefit of providing detailed metadata from Synology's Video Station database.

So, if anyone else's set up matches mine, there's your solution.

Although, I still don't have a technical reason for why Roku Media Player was ignoring the provided cover art with the 'Roku' and 'Default' Synology profiles. The xml looks the same with each profile, so I guess the art and metadata Roku uses comes from an additional endpoint provided by the Media Server I haven't found yet.

Chubbs

Jump to solution

Hello,

Curious what model Synology you have where you see this setting.  I just checked my DS214Play and I cant find the settings you refer to toggle.  Checked Media Server an Video Station.  I'm also running a current DSM.

Thanks!

roakuser
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's a bit hidden inside the Media Server configuration on my Synology (DSM 6.2.3).

Media Server -> DMA Compatibility tab -> Device List button

Once you have the Device List open, you figure out the IP/MAC address/Name of the device you care about and use the drop downs on the right side under the 'Profile' column to set how Media Server will present metadata for DLNA/UPNP.

Also, after you set all the profiles, you have to then click 'save' at the upper left of the modal pop up, or your changes won't get persisted.

Hope that helps.

allmycompstuff
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I know this is an old thread but I was so hoping this was the answer to my issue but unfortunately it didn't' work for me on my DS720+ (Version: 7.1.1-42962 Update 2) 

RMP always gave me full Meta Data, image previews and loads of functions, in fact I was surprised how similar it was to my Netflix GUI. Then all of a sudden I go to watch a movie and all I have is a HORRIBLE file and folder browser which is totally unusable so I tried your fix

0 Kudos
hitori101

Jump to solution

For anyone with this problem streaming using Microsoft (OS & Media Player) - it's essentially the same solution.  Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Media Streaming Options

Find the device(s) you're streaming to, select 'customize' and change from default to all.

0 Kudos