Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyleabaker
Visitor

Roku Crash Logs?

Is there a place where I can find Roku crash logs when my Roku freezes and then reboots? Some of these crashes happen when I'm using the USB Channel to play mp4 video content, but it also seems to happen fairly regularly on other channels not dealing with USB. I'd like to take a look at these logs to see what's causing so many crashes if they are available.

With the USB channel, sometimes a video file plays perfectly fine while other times the same video file may freeze midway through playing and the Roku reboots.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Crash Logs?

Crash logs are occasionally sent to developers if we see a major spike in crashes in our monitoring system. We sanitize user and device serial number information from these logs and only share the crash data with the developer of the channel.

- Joel
0 Kudos
kyleabaker
Visitor

I'm developing a Roku channel, but its not yet in the store. Is it possible for me to submit my Roku box number somewhere and get crash logs that have been submitted? I see these freezes and reboots with several apps.. mine included and would love to see what the cause is to fix it before submitting to the channel store.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You can get crash logs directly from the device by telnetting to port 8085 when testing your channel.

- Joel
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You can get crash logs directly from the device by telnetting to port 8085 when testing your channel.

- Joel

How? They are talking about the device crash/reboot not just a normal app crash. Is there a way to get info when the the device crashes and reboots? I've been trying to determine why a few users seem to crash/reboot sometimes and being able to get crash/reboot logs would be amazing instead of just the normal bug crash due to a brightscript code error.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We don't give out device crash logs, only Brightscript crash logs, and only for channels you have developed, and only under circumstances affecting large numbers of users, or during testing of channels prior to publication.

- Joel
0 Kudos
mDeba

Re: Roku Crash Logs. How to get from a private channel

Lets assume i am facing a device specific crash issue. I donot have a particular device , it the customer's device that the app is crashing. The app is in private mode. How can i get the crash logs ?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Crash Logs. How to get from a private channel

@mDeba, whatever crash logs there are you get with the "View analytics" option in your developer account at https://developer.roku.com/developer-channels/channels assuming the website is working.  The logs aren't instantaneous; it seems to take a day or two for a crash to appear.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos