Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gdahilig
Visitor

Roku Behind a Walled Garden

All,

We provide wifi internet access that requires the user log in before the user can access the internet. Note that the access point is open, but you need to use a web page enter your login credential for Prime Access or to accept terms and conditions for limited access(hence the "walled-garden"). When I try setting up the Roku right out of the box, I am stopped at the wifi connection set up. There is no way to interact with the login page. Devices like the iPhone and iPad get around this by displaying a web sheet so that the user can interact with the access point log in page. Is it possible to do the initial Roku setup (right out of the box) in this kind of environment?

I am posting here since I need to understand the issue in order to see if we can change how the access point make this possible. And, this of course leads to creating a Roku channel for our users. Note, users will come to our location with their own Roku so we will not be able to manually set up for the user.

Thanks in advance.

~Gene
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Voldemort
Visitor

Re: Roku Behind a Walled Garden

Roku isn't made to do that. Fire TV is. You need a device with some kind of web browser app.
"gdahilig" wrote:
All,

We provide wifi internet access that requires the user log in before the user can access the internet. Note that the access point is open, but you need to use a web page enter your login credential for Prime Access or to accept terms and conditions for limited access(hence the "walled-garden"). When I try setting up the Roku right out of the box, I am stopped at the wifi connection set up. There is no way to interact with the login page. Devices like the iPhone and iPad get around this by displaying a web sheet so that the user can interact with the access point log in page. Is it possible to do the initial Roku setup (right out of the box) in this kind of environment?

I am posting here since I need to understand the issue in order to see if we can change how the access point make this possible. And, this of course leads to creating a Roku channel for our users. Note, users will come to our location with their own Roku so we will not be able to manually set up for the user.

Thanks in advance.

~Gene
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
0 Kudos