Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philotas
Roku Guru

Reuse Video Node?

Is it ok tu reuse one Video node in SceneGraph for all videos being played back in a channel or should it be recreated for every video?
I am talking about mixed content here progressive mp4 and HLS videos.

Maybe this is cleaner cause it cleans some caches or whatever.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Reuse Video Node?

Yes I believe it's preferred to reuse the same video node.
aspiring
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

i'd be inclined to use different Video node every time (with the clarification that no more than 1 can go at a time). Based on my experience with other components (roNDK?) being throw-away items, it feels to me more "sanitary" with disposables...
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

I guess it's up to the individual developer.  In the SDK2 work the team I'm on has done, we created only one and reused it.
aspiring
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

So far, I haven't run into problems re-using nodes, even animations. I don't know what the "official" Roku position is, just what's been working for me.
0 Kudos
philotas
Roku Guru

ok, will keep on using my single video node then.
EDIT: thanks for the quick feedback
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Do what feels right for you. Sometimes global functions/functionality work well and at other times, you simply need more than one video node..a trailer for instance at a different size from the full screen video node. I think what is really important, is write clean codes that can easily be read when adding code or passing it on. Cheers!
0 Kudos