Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

Request: Stop requiring support of devices 5+ years old

In this modern day, Roku models 2450 and 2500 have a horrible user experience.  Most major device manufacturers (eg Apple) do not support devices 5+ years old as 2450 and 2500 now are.
There may be some legitimate masochists out there but I suspect any statistical numbers of users above 0 are just Roku developers testing and comparing their apps on such ancient devices.
I think it would be better for the users if they were not misled by the fact that Roku requires support of these 5+ year old devices.  Because for anyone who's used a "modern" device like a Roku 3 Smiley LOL, these are barely usable.

Cable companies could send these out to convince people not to become cord cutters  Smiley LOL
aspiring
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Request: Stop requiring support of devices 5+ years old

I used to keep a 2500 around for testing, but I found it to be only slightly slower than the 2710, so I ended up giving away the 2500 to a friend who was still using an old 2050 up until last year!
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Request: Stop requiring support of devices 5+ years old

wow!  I have a 2710 which feels pretty slow and outdated but apparently is not as much so as the 2450 and 2500, which are failing things the 2710 passes 😕
aspiring
0 Kudos