Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkerman
Visitor

Remove Progress Bar

I would like to know how to remove the progress bar that displays each time a video loads.

I'm playing videos off a USB drive which is attached to my player. I'm also playing the videos using a roVideoScreen. Since the videos are essentlially being played back locally, I don't have the need to show a progress bar each time a video loads.

Thanks
Scot
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Remove Progress Bar

If you use roVideoPlayer instead of roVideoScreen, then there won't be a progress bar unless you program/create one.
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

I'm really new to how all this works and spent a lot of time developing my menus and video playlists using the roVideoScreen. All is working the way I want it to except for the progress bars. I'd hate to rewrite and problem solve everything by switching to a roVideoPlayer.
I was wondering if there was any bright script code that I can use within my other code to hide the progress bar.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

You cannot disable the buffer screen of the roVideoScreen. If you switched to roVideoPlayer, you'd lose all trickplay capabilities unless you explicitly code them in.
Why is the buffer screen an issue for you? If you're playing back local content, I wouldn't expect it to be up too long, but even still, it's a good indicator of what the device is doing.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

I'm developing a playlist that is feed from a JSON file of about 50 individual video clips. All the videos start from black and fade up and end with a fade out to black. I would like all the videos to loop together so they appear seem less. The progress bar, though up for a short time, breaks that seamless look and feel I'm trying to accomplish. I also need the videos to loop continuously and display their captions until the user hits the back button. This will be used a our companies trade show.
I've developed all the code to do this. Being my first attempt at this was a big task for me. By switching to a different video player seems like starting over again. I guess I'll live what I got for now until my boss suggests to remove it.
Thanks for answers and fast responses! I appreciate it. I maybe asking help with the video player soon.

Thanks
Scot
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"sparkerman" wrote:
I'm developing a playlist that is feed from a JSON file of about 50 individual video clips. All the videos start from black and fade up and end with a fade out to black. I would like all the videos to loop together so they appear seem less. The progress bar, though up for a short time, breaks that seamless look and feel I'm trying to accomplish. I also need the videos to loop continuously and display their captions until the user hits the back button. This will be used a our companies trade show.
I've developed all the code to do this. Being my first attempt at this was a big task for me. By switching to a different video player seems like starting over again. I guess I'll live what I got for now until my boss suggests to remove it.
Thanks for answers and fast responses! I appreciate it. I maybe asking help with the video player soon.

Thanks
Scot

If you don't have the need for fast forward and rewind (which it doesn't sound like you do), switching to roVideoPlayer would give you what you're looking for, and shouldn't require more than a few minor changes. The interfaces are very similar. You'd just need to add an image canvas. Take a look at the video player example in the SDK.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

I'll take a look.
Thanks
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Another idea is to combine all the videos in your playlist into a single video - then the buffer bar would only show up when the entire video finishes to loop the single video.
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"sparkerman" wrote:

Thanks
Scot

If you don't have the need for fast forward and rewind (which it doesn't sound like you do), switching to roVideoPlayer would give you what you're looking for, and shouldn't require more than a few minor changes. The interfaces are very similar. You'd just need to add an image canvas. Take a look at the video player example in the SDK.

What is the best way to show captions using the roVideoPlayer? I was able to show captions using the other method via a JSON feed but from what I read about roVideoPlayer the captions need to be called out.
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
Another idea is to combine all the videos in your playlist into a single video - then the buffer bar would only show up when the entire video finishes to loop the single video.

If I didn't have to add captions that would work great. With all the clips together it is about 1 hour in length. The clips have a tendency to change and the boss like to change the order at the last minute too. Rendering a new 1 hour clip is to much work not to mention editing a 1 hour .srt file with all new timecode!
0 Kudos