Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramakanth
Visitor

Reversing a String in BrightScript

What is the best way to reverse a String in BrightScript? i did reverse a sentence but not an individual word. I didn't find an equivalent of java charAt() function in brightscript for particular string.

required:

Function StrReverse(baseString as String)
revString = // logic to reverse the string
return revString
End Function

input : "roku"
output : "ukor"

apart from english text, i am pretty much interested in achieving the string reverse for arabic text, any inputs hear would be pretty helpful.

Thanks,
Ramakanth.G
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
sjb64
Roku Guru

Re: Reversing a String in BrightScript

The Mid function of strings to pull a single character can be used as your charat(), or string indexing that I use in c#. Use this in a for loop walking a string backward to get each char and create a new string char at a time from them would be quickest way I know to do this.

Arabic would be an challenge I believe. Numbers embedded in sentences are not reversed, and characters can change depending on position, but that might just be the way they're written, not the actual characters. I lived in Dubai for years dealing with bi-lingual sites and apps, and found manipulation of Arabic text (beyond simple display) in high level languages very difficult, so in an intermediate language like BRS it could be even more so.
0 Kudos
ramakanth
Visitor

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, can anyone provide me with the working snippet, it will be helpful

Thanks,
Ramakanth.G
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

You can see some functions in section 8 of the main BrightScript documentation, plus there are more in ifStringOps. There are multiple ways you could approach it, here's one possibility:

origStr = "bassAckwards"
newStr = ""
len = Len(origStr)
FOR i = len TO 1 STEP -1
newStr = newStr + Mid(origStr, i, 1)
END FOR
? newStr

(results: "sdrawkcAssab")
0 Kudos
ramakanth
Visitor

Thanks for the snippet komag
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

I'm guessing you're new to coding, so it's worth pointing out that you can put Komag's snippet into a re-usable function:

function stringReverse(input as String) as String
newStr = ""
len = len(input)

for i = len to 1 step -1
newStr = newStr + mid(input, i, 1)
end for

return newStr
end function

Which can then be used like this:

function main()
str = "This is my string!"

reversed = stringReverse(str)