Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rddesmond
Visitor

Remote for Mac OS X Dashboard

After a bit of hobby programming and playing with the External Interfaces doc in the SDK, I have put a ROKU remote online at https://sourceforge.net/projects/roku-dashboard/ . This remote isn't quite as developed as the more popular iPhone app, but has a number of nice features and is on a new platform. Features include:

• Installation on Dashboard in Mac OS 10.4.3 or higher
  • User input IP with indicator (Red for invalid IP, Orange for a Valid IP that doesn't respond as a ROKU, Green for Valid Roku)
  • Support for most commands available in the SDK
  • Keyboard support for commands (arrows, plus those identified on the back of the widget)
  • Keyboard mode where typing is sent directly to the ROKU for input screens

Some notes:

• Certainly beta software, if anyone has any ideas they'd like feel free to post
  • Developed using Apple's Dashcode software, some components are generated.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
evilmax17
Visitor

Re: Remote for Mac OS X Dashboard

Awesome! I'll definitely use this.

Feature request:
Add the ability to enter in multiple Roku IPs for the same remote, and the option to switch between them.

Bug:
When I click the right arrow once, it will automatically keep going right forever.

Nice work so far. Keep us updated with development progress.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
rddesmond
Visitor

@evilmax17 - Thanks, fixed the bug and updated a new version. Thats a good idea, something to play with on my commute. Now if only I could figure out a good way to do discovery in dashboard...
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

Bump for a great app. I use it all the time!
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
bblboy54
Visitor

I seem to be having the same stick right arrow problem. I also when I click on "okay" my roku makes the "invalid" sound instead of actually selecting the item that I am on.

I also would like to see the ability to support multiple Roku devices.

Thanks for all your work on this.... it's something I have been wanting for quite some time.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Last visited:
Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:33 pm
0 Kudos
rddesmond
Visitor

Sorry for abruptly disappearing a few years ago.

I got a mac in front of me after a pretty long hiatus. I just pushed a new version of the remote it fixes:

- Better async behavior (particularly when entering an IP)
- Fixed any broken buttons (right-arrow + enter changed behavior)
- Automatically selects the IP when you goto the back

One change I could go either way on, but it matches the way I use it:
- The "enter" key on the keyboard behaves differently in text mode vs command mode. In text mode, it accepts a text input. In command, more it presses a selection. I find the API a little widgety for this. It works really well if you go into text mode to enter data and remember to leave it once you've finished (which is how I use it). Maybe I'll add an option..
0 Kudos
ratteler
Visitor

Can you add a feature to scan the network for my ROKUs. I have two, both usually hooked up by wifi to my network. My Mac is plugged into the router by ethernet.

It's a PITA to have to manually enter the IP address.
0 Kudos
rddesmond
Visitor

Sure I can look into that. When I looked at it a few years ago.. I had some trouble with the security limits that are imposed by the dashboard, but it might be a more standard procedure now.

One other option might be to have multiple IP boxes on the config, and then have a config option to choose which one you'd prefer to use.
0 Kudos