Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Registration + Linking help.

You could hire one of the channel developers here to write your server code for your linking process. Without knowing more specifics about your integration it'd be difficult to give you direction that you'd be completely satisfied with.
To expand on that, you'll want to be sure you have some kind of webserver installed on your linux server machine, probably with php or asp, and some kind of database to store what you need for quick reference lookups like SQL or MySQL.
All the Roku does is either generate a code, or ask your server for a code, and the server would have a way to check the code is valid and link the roku to a user ID, and then return a value to roku so it knows it's been linked. It's probably difficult to do the first time, but once you have that working the rest of the queries (search, billing, viewing logs, mailing out free T-SHIRTS, etc etc) is fairly easy.
0 Kudos
wcwman18
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
You could hire one of the channel developers here to write your server code for your linking process. Without knowing more specifics about your integration it'd be difficult to give you direction that you'd be completely satisfied with.
To expand on that, you'll want to be sure you have some kind of webserver installed on your linux server machine, probably with php or asp, and some kind of database to store what you need for quick reference lookups like SQL or MySQL.
All the Roku does is either generate a code, or ask your server for a code, and the server would have a way to check the code is valid and link the roku to a user ID, and then return a value to roku so it knows it's been linked. It's probably difficult to do the first time, but once you have that working the rest of the queries (search, billing, viewing logs, mailing out free T-SHIRTS, etc etc) is fairly easy.

Well, here are the basics of my current set up.

I have a linux server that my website is hosted on. It has PHP and SQL available. I can create a new database within CPanel. I use IPBoard as my forum software. Hope maybe that helps someone to help me.
0 Kudos
vznzj7
Visitor

Though it is a old post, I am also in the same exact situation. Can somebody help me please? InstantTV is not of much help here.

I am almost done with my channel coding, but got struck with this linking step.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

A quick & dirty solution might be to use a separate WordPress-based website for the Registration & Linking, in order to use the Instant TV Channel plugin without re-writing it for another framework. Then you can link from your existing non-WordPress website to the WordPress website only for the Roku Registration & Linking functions.

Alternatively, if you still want to avoid using WordPress, there is an API document that describes what is required, so it shouldn't be too difficult for a programmer experienced in whatever framework you are using to implement Registration & Linking with Instant TV Channel. Here's the document: http://ex.irchan.com/docs/irc_reg_and_link.pdf
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos