Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bekebo1
Visitor

Reconnecting our channel to server

Hi, Hope I'm in the right place. We have a channel already and it was working fine, our developer got ill and is no longer available. We switched servers (moved to a different company) and our roku channel stopped working, I'm guessing it was tied in with the old server. Can someone tell me how I connect our existing channel with the new dedicated server?

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Reconnecting our channel to server

Hi,

you need to get the source code for your old channel from the developer, and change the address, repackage and submit the channel as an update. If you can't obtain that source code, you need to recreate the channel from scratch or hire a developer to do so.

One thing to look into though is if the channel uses an alias or a fixed ip address where it gets its data - if it uses an alias, then you may be able to recreate the alias on your new platform and use the same alias, for example if the alias was

mydatasource.myservice.com

and you've moved myservice.com to another provider, you need to recreate the mydatasource alias on that domain on your new host.

- Joel
0 Kudos
bekebo1
Visitor

Thank you so much for your reply, going to see if I can get that code. Can you tell me where to look to see if the channel is using an alias or fixed ip?

Thank you! Rebekah
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Look at the http lines in the code. That's probably a good indicator for which server it is using.
0 Kudos
bekebo1
Visitor

Got it, thanks!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You could also use a network sniffer application to check what url's your Roku is using to connect to your server, or, you could enable tcpdump on your roku.

- Joel
0 Kudos
bekebo1
Visitor

How would I go about getting a programmer for Roku, can any programmer do it or is this a specialized thing?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

^ http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31664
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos