Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaxace
Binge Watcher

RebootSystem()

In the BrightScript reference manual, in section 7.6 (page 34) documents the RebootSystem() "global utility function" as causing a soft reboot.
Has anybody gotten this to work?
In my experience so far it seems to be a no-op.

I would really prefer to use a tiny app to reboot than unplugging the DVP.

Thanks.

D.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: RebootSystem()

Nope. It doesn't work.

I wrote a simple "Reboot" channel a couple weeks ago that essentially crashes the system by loading too much information into memory: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32810&p=206136#p206136
It's a hack, and has the same side effect of sending logs to Roku as the remote reboot sequence, but it's easier than unplugging and replugging.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the info.
Guess I'll put one of those extension cords with a remote switch on my Roku. That's a lot easier than the remote sequence. Smiley LOL

Hopefully Roku will fix this in the next release.

D.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"vaxace" wrote:
In the BrightScript reference manual, in section 7.6 (page 34) documents the RebootSystem() "global utility function" as causing a soft reboot.
Has anybody gotten this to work?
In my experience so far it seems to be a no-op.

I would really prefer to use a tiny app to reboot than unplugging the DVP.

Thanks.

D.

This is most likely a part of the language that's been restricted on the Roku DVP but is essentially part of BrightScript and available on other BrightScript devices (BrightSign, etc). Allowing any developer's channel to just reboot the box could be problematic for Roku. Especially if some debugging code got left in a channel that does this.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Allowing any developer's channel to just reboot the box could be problematic for Roku. Especially if some debugging code got left in a channel that does this.

I absolutely agree with that in an production environment.
Trivial to fix: Only enable it when developer mode is enabled on the box.
0 Kudos