Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

RAF blunder: "Your video will begin soon"

I notice that the new RAF 1.6 shows this stupid notice on screen while fetching ad info:
"Advertisement: Your video will begin soon"

The problem is that "your video" will not begin soon (nor ever) - because my app is not a Video streaming channel. It is a game but it could as well be a utility app (weather, score checker, web browser etc) - point is, the default notice is inappropriately presumptious. I am fairly certain the previous version (1.5?) had a better text, something like "your content will follow" or some such - whatever it was, there was no "video" mentioned.

@Roku - can you please fix the blunder?
Can i work around it somehow (e.g. set custom line)?
Also where is the "Ad 1 of 1" overlay that was showing in the corner - i want that part to be there and gently imply what's on screen?

PS. I am using showAds() "default ad rendering" and here is what RTFM promises:
"Default Ad Rendering" wrote:
If the client application has no need for custom UI or user interaction during ad rendering, it is recommended to use the default rendering method showAds(). This method handles rendering and control of interactive and video ads, as well as displaying basic messaging UI (e.g., “Your program will continue after these messages”) and feedback UI (“Ad 1 of 3”).
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: RAF blunder: "Your video will begin soon"

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=89999&p=506652&hilit=message#p506702
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Ha! RokuJim, are you saying that you shot yourself (us) in the foot, by back then saying:
"renojim" wrote:
... it would be nice to be able to modify the "Your program will return after this message" (from memory, so that may not be quite right). I don't have a program that's going to return.

You did have a "program" to return to - your games, text was generic enough - but not anymore.

I wonder if the current "fix" happened like a game of "telephone", in which someone along the chain did not read/understand what was asked and figured solution is to change "program" with "video"? In the same line of thought, is bcorrigan78 to be "blamed" for someone misunderstanding and axing the "Ad 1 of 1" overlay?

Beware a deaf genie granting wishes, ey?!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm not sure the text always reads the same, but I've gotten used to just ignoring it. As for the "Ad 1 of x" overlay, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not (and x doesn't seem to matter). Seems like a bug to me, but there's probably an underlying cause we'll never be able to figure out without the RAF library source.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"renojim" wrote:
I'm not sure the text always reads the same, but I've gotten used to just ignoring it. As for the "Ad 1 of x" overlay, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not (and x doesn't seem to matter). Seems like a bug to me, but there's probably an underlying cause we'll never be able to figure out without the RAF library source.

-JT

I've been told that the "Advertisement: Your video will begin soon" and lack of "Ad 1 of x" overlay indicate that it is a 3rd-party interactive ad.
RAF does not directly control the UI appearance in that case.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
I've been told that the "Advertisement: Your video will begin soon" and lack of "Ad 1 of x" overlay indicate that it is a 3rd-party interactive ad.
RAF does not directly control the UI appearance in that case.

Ok... this is interesting. Indeed - by repeatedly experimenting, seems sometimes i can get the old (desired) behavior - and other times (the "blunder" behavior) the ad has a note somewhere about "press OK" or such (hence "interactive"?).

If i cannot culture/enlighten the 2nd kind of ads, how can i opt-out from them?

Call them "3rd party" or not, i am getting these courtesy of RokuCo's "incredibly robust direct ad sales team". This is not my own ad inventory, it's RokuCo's - so can't really say it's somebody else's job.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Here is a bonus question - i notice one of the items in https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... Check+List says:
11.12 | Number of ads are displayed as label during ad breaks

So this is odd... on one side RokuCo requires me to show number of ads, on the other hand RokuCo gives me ad inventory that does not show the label with the number of ads. Seems like internal contradiction, no?
0 Kudos