Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mramim
Streaming Star

Question about on device authentication

I see apps like Netflix and Youtube both make users login/signup using rendezvous method(showing a code to end user that needs to be entered in a website/app) but on the documentation here it says
"SVOD and TVOD channels (and other subscription services) must implement on-device authentication to pass certification." & "For SVOD and TVOD channels (and other subscription services), on-device authentication deprecates the "rendezvous" registration method."

In my opinion rendezvous make a lot more sense rather than making user enter email, password. Some users don't even have passwords if they used google/facebook to sign up in the first place. Can I implement rendezvous method for a channel that will implement subscription in the future? Or I must use on device authentication?

6 REPLIES 6
simssons2
Reel Rookie

Re: Question about on device authentication!

It's not the answer you want cuz I have the same question.

I'd like to know how it went??

Did you use on device authentication or rendezvous method?

0 Kudos
mramim
Streaming Star

I don't exactly remember which project I asked this for, but since then, I've used rendezvous on few projects that didn't require integration of payment. The one where I have integrated roku pay, I remember using on device authentication.

0 Kudos
simssons2
Reel Rookie

Thank you for reply!!

did you stick to the flow which is shown on device authentication?

I posted my question here .. cloud you please reply on this if you know something? 

and how long does it normally take to know if your channel passed certification after you submit your channel for certification tests?

sorry for the too many questions 

0 Kudos
RokuPam
Streaming Star

Re: Question about on device authentication

Hi @mramim,

Your interpretation of our certification requirements is correct – channels are not permitted to use rendezvous linking for sign-up or sign-in. If users created their account through a third-party (e.g. Facebook, Google, etc), the channel can either (1) allow users to create their own password on-device OR (2) generate a secure temporary password that the user can set on their own time.

0 Kudos
bretthacker
Binge Watcher

I know this is an old thread but I'd like clarification. I have a screen saver (no associated channel) that retrieves content from a server. There is no payment required. Can I use rendezvous linking to link the device to the server?

0 Kudos

> Your interpretation of our certification requirements is correct

In typical Roku fashion, the answer doesn't answer the question.

If an app isn't allowed to do that, why does Netflix and Youtube do it? The OP explicitly states that the reason they are unsure here is because they see 2 apps doing something that appears to be prohibited by the documentation. So if it is prohibited, why are these apps able to do it? And if it's not prohibited, why does the documentation suggest that it is?

I've ended up here because I too need an answer to this question and as usual, the developer documentation says different things depending on which page you happen to be looking at. So it's frustrating to see a Roku response not at all address the question like this.

0 Kudos