Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

REP: roArray.slice(start, finish, step)

I propose an enhancement: add a .slice(start=0, finish=-1, step_=1) method for roArray , to return a new array that was sliced from the original (i.e. copied sub-range).

I know array slcing to be very useful and convenient, from my experience with Python - where there is even a syntactic sugar for that, the slice operator, e.g. [start:end], [start:end:step], [:], [::-1]. Especially if extending with negative notation to index backwards from the end of the array. For example:
lst = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]
lst.slice(1, 3)      '[1, 2, 3], from 1 to 3 - compare to "01234".mid(1, 3)'
lst.slice(3)         '[2, 3, 4], from 2 onward - compare to "01234".mid(2)'
lst.slice(-3)        '[2, 3, 4], last 3 - compare to "01234".right(3)'
lst.slice(-1, 0, -1) '[4, 3, 2, 1, 0], i.e. reversed, "from the end to the beginning, going backwards"'
lst.slice()          '[0, 1, 2, 3, 4], array COPY - loosely akin to tmp=[]: tmp.append(lst): return tmp'

Oh my - so powerful, perhaps it's too complicated writing the code to do all the acrobatics? Not at all - it is very easy to implement - see the sample implementation as B/S function i did couple of years ago viewtopic.php?f=34&t=75675#p461530 - it's only 10 lines! That one is fully-functional, except the speed is not that great since pushes&shoves non-natively. Slightly touched-up:
function arraySlice(arr as Object, start=0 as Integer, finish=-1 as Integer, step_=1 as Integer) as Object:
   if GetInterface(arr, "ifArray") = invalid then print "ValueError: arr not ifArray much" : STOP
   if step_ = 0 then print "ValueError: slice step cannot be zero" : STOP
   if start < 0 then start += arr.count() 'adjust, negative counts backwards from the end'
   if finish < 0 then finish += arr.count()
   res = []
   for i = start to finish step step_:
       res.push(arr[i])
   next
   return res
end function
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: REP: roArray.slice(start, finish, step)

@Roku ?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Feature request noted.
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Reel Rookie

So... 4 years later, how far have you gotten through adding those 10 lines?

0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I guess since it's so easy to just code it as a Function there's not really a need for it.

0 Kudos
GarethJ
Reel Rookie

That applies to half of the API though. Yet that still exists.

0 Kudos