Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

Re: Question On Roku Email About Legacy Devices

cliffs: channel updates and new channels won't be pushed to legacy players anymore
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

While I can't answer questions about this policy (I'm on the Roku TV development team, not dev relations), I'd like to note that currently shipping Roku devices support SD resolution. The Roku 1 box has composite output that runs at 480i, so you can't drop SD support entirely right now.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Who has received such email so far? I personally haven't, guess have to qualify as "partner" first.

And the post is odd: no date, no person signing it, no "your Roku contact" info.
Maybe it was April Fools' mailing for developers?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Who has received such email so far? I personally haven't, guess have to qualify as "partner" first.

And the post is odd: no date, no person signing it, no "your Roku contact" info.
Maybe it was April Fools' mailing for developers?

That "post" is from the "View online" link in the email. It was sent on March 30th (I received it at 8:09pm EST), so unlikely it had anything to do with April Fools Day.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We only sent the email to developers who have a published public channel. The change in Legacy support doesn't, at least at present, pertain to private channels.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
We only sent the email to developers who have a published pubic channel. The change in Legacy support doesn't, at least at present, pertain to private channels.

Thanks, Joel!
Any idea on the amount (% or M) of legacy players still in use?
0 Kudos