Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fortscan
Visitor

Private IPTV with OS customization

Hello,

We currently offer to our customers private IPTV services, mostly for streaming conferences, events.

We have been testing the Roku box since we are interested in offering as a standard STB hardware for our customers, and we have also analyzed the SDK documentation.

Is there a way to customize the unit so that it *doesn't* connect to default Roku channelstore, and instead it functions as a very simple MPEG4 player, connecting to one of our own private streaming servers?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Diego.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Private IPTV with OS customization

There is no way to configure the Roku to not connect to the Roku channel store.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
cola007
Visitor

Would a BrightSign unit be a better fit for this? It's a signage device made by Roku, but to my knowledge uses the same/similar SDK as the DVP.
http://www.brightsign.biz/

Not exactly a STB, but may be better suited to what you're after.
0 Kudos
fortscan
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you very much for this reference; we didn't know about the BrightSign devices.

It seems to be a very interesting option, although it could be hard to scale this to mass distribution, since these units don't seem to be designed for residential end-users. I don't know about their cost, but most probably they will be much more expensive than the DVPs STBs.

In our opinion, the Roku STB, based on the NXP STB225 system, is a great unit which could be sold in the US as a "Netflix-box", and also re-branded or white-labeled to be sold outside the US -where Netflix, and most other Internet live streaming services don't work-, as a separate solution.

I understand the developers might want to stick to the Roku-Netflix "partnership", but they are missing a great business opportunity for customers outside the US. All it would take for them would be to customize a parallel firmware (even without completely re-imaging the unit with a different one), allowing certain customizations such as being able to stop the unit trying to access Netflix/Roku servers, and providing an easier way for integrators/providers to program MPEG4 on-demand channels (without the need to build an app). They could perfectly charge for this "extra" firmware and still be competitive with other STBs manufacturers that have already opened their OS plattform (i.e. Amino).
0 Kudos