Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucasgonze
Visitor

should up key from root screen exit channel?

If the user is on the home screen of your app and hits the up button on the remote, do you exit your app? Or do you only support exiting via the home button on the remote?

What the Developer Guide has to say is ambiguous: "The user may return to the top level at any time by pressing the Home button. Pressing the Home button will always exit the application and unconditionally return control back to the UI application shell."
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: should up key from root screen exit channel?

Pressing up from the Channel's root screen does/should exit by convention. Hitting home is enforced by the system.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Pressing up from the Channel's root screen does/should exit by convention. Hitting home is enforced by the system.

Interestingly, however, the "up to exit" functionality seems to have disappeared from the latest Netflix channel. I regularly get caught out by that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

TheEndless: yup! That's what threw me off.

I just implemented this and it feels really good. It's a very natural flow to up arrow all the way out to the Roku root.
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

The reason the up arrow method of exiting was removed from the new Netflix grid UI is because it became a common complaint that it was too easy to accidentally exit out of the channel when quick-scrolling up the grid. Obviously, this isn't an issue for the older style horizontal layout channels.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos