Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkerman
Visitor

Private Channels not Updating

Hello
I've put up a few private channels for my company but now I notice they are not updating when I publish a change to them. In my developer's site control panel they are all in the "published" status. When I do a "System Update" they do not get updated. I've waiting 24 hours thinking there was a delay but still nothing. I noticed Roku has changed their website design so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. When I was using the old design, they updated just fine.
The documents for updating channels still show screen shots from the old website interface which make me think I'm missing something...
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Private Channels not Updating

Two weeks ago the Co pushed a new version of the portal, which broke some things - sounds yours is one of them. 
Email developer at roku.com about this, let us know here what the resolution was. If you don't hear from them within two days, keep re-sending 🙂
0 Kudos
adamkaz1
Visitor

I am also having trouble getting a submitted build (which are essentially private channels) to show up on my Ultra.  
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"adamkaz1" wrote:
I am also having trouble getting a submitted build (which are essentially private channels) to show up on my Ultra.  

Tell us more? I know you know what you are talking about, so issue must be for real. 
The Co has not admitted such issue yet, though i saw vague beating around the bushes at https://github.com/rokudev/docs/issues/6

PS. on a side note - were you never unable to recover the old name "adamkaz" since the forum "snow blindness" change? My suspicion on difficulty staying logged in was about AWS load (un)balancer in front of multiple servers. 
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

Still no response from developer@roku.com
Private channels still not updating though the new package version says "Published" in my account...
Getting frustrated with Roku.
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

hey - looks like my old name is working again.  I received confirmation from Roku that there was a problem with "activation and adding channels".  After posting yesterday, I noticed there was a service bulletin on the Roku home page. It also caused the web service API to go down - I have about 5 hours of failed attempts validating purchases yesterday.  It seems to be fixed now.
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

I just tried updated my private channel again. No success. In my developer portal is says the new build is published but it does not update on my Roku player. 
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

The nice people at Roku resolved my problem...
When I was publishing an update to my private channel, i was setting the minimum firmware version to a lower version than my published channel. Apparently any already published channels with a higher version number will cause the updated channel with the lower version not to update on my Roku player. This was something I didn't take into account or now about.
Thanks and I'm glad I can continue onto my Roku developing skills!
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"sparkerman" wrote:
When I was publishing an update to my private channel, i was setting the minimum firmware version to a lower version than my published channel. Apparently any already published channels with a higher version number will cause the updated channel with the lower version not to update on my Roku player. This was something I didn't take into account or now about.

Wait, what? I thought min.firmware requirement was defined to only "increase monotonically", i.e. not letting you go back.
Seems more like a bug in the implementation rather than faulty design. I.e. the DB query is wrong, it should be something like (simplifying, in reality it should be at least a join to handle all channels on account):
SELECT TOP 1 bundle# FROM bundle_bag 
WHERE channel# = :ID 
AND min_firmware# <= :PLAYER_FW# 
AND version# > :INSTALLED_VER 
ORDER BY version# DESC
... and what they are doing is sorting by min_firmware or unsorted. It's tricky but not hard if you think about the case.
0 Kudos
sparkerman
Visitor

I probably didn't explain it all correctly.
My original channels were posted with a firmware version v5xx. I was trying to update the channel with a firmware version of v2.xxx, which would not update on my player which is running v7.xxx
If I had a player that was running v2.xxx, then the channel would have updated. My private channels are for many corporate offices that use them for training and at trade shows. I never know what firmware version they are running so I thought it would be best to update with the lowest possible. In my case, that was not smart thinking.
Knowing what minimum firmware version to use isn't something I clearly undestand.
0 Kudos