Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kyleabaker
Visitor

Possible to use video frame as grid screen poster image?

I'm curious if it's possible to use a frame from a video as the poster image in a roGridScreen list item? I thought I'd seen this before, but can't seem to find it. Any tips or suggestions?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Possible to use video frame as grid screen poster image?

Possible - save the frame as a jpg or png, and set it as a thumbnail for your gridscreen.
0 Kudos
kyleabaker
Visitor

Hi destruk,

Thanks for the response, however, I'm already using jpg images as poster images in the roGridScreen. I was wondering if it is possible to programmatically use a frame from a video if I don't already have a jpg image for a video? Rather than manually saving a frame as an image on a computer, I'd like to be able to get the my code to select a frame in the video and use that as the poster image.

Is that possible? Anyone?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

You could probably set up an asp or php script on the server to extract the desired frames from each video - but to do it on the fly would incur a massive loading delay for each user as your video library increases. -- best to run a batch file or cron job on the server to save the thumbnails from the videos and then automatically add them to your feed as jpg/png urls. If there is some other secret way of doing it, I can't think of one that would be useful.
0 Kudos