Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RIDGELINETV
Visitor

Playing video files sequentially

It's easy to play individual files on demand using the example video player.

However, I'd like to have an on demand channel set up to where when a viewer selects a program to play, it actually plays a sequence of individual video files, in essence, running a playlist (I'm talking about on demand here, not live streaming - I know it gets confusing because "playlist" means different things to different people).

I'm hoping Roku uses an XML file for this purpose.

Thanks for any assistance.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Playing video files sequentially

0 Kudos
RIDGELINETV
Visitor

Re: Playing video files sequentially

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm very new to Brightscript so I know I sound like a noob! I just want to get a better idea about the possibilities of Roku before I jump in head first.... If it won't do what I need, there's so sense in putting the time into it.

So my question is can you set this video array from an external XML file?

My scenario is this: I have a TV station and create all my shows in segments. That way commercials and PSAs can be changed out easily in the breaks by just changing the playlist, not re-encoding the entire program. I have taken this concept over to my website, where programs play like this through a web video player. If I create a Roku channel, the workflow would be much easier if it follows a similar concept.
0 Kudos