Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Playing audio from within a screensaver

Since other people have asked me if I can add music to my "Time & Weather" screensaver I thought I'd bring it up here. Now that I've read the documentation ;), I see it's not allowed. I can see reasons why it might not be a good idea, but it there any other technical reasons why it's not allowed?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Playing audio from within a screensaver

It's an implementation quirk about the way the screensaver interacts with the active application and routing events and messages appropriately. We took some shortcuts here (including disallowing audio in the screenserver) in order to finalize v2.6 quickly and get it in your hands.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks for the quick response! I can see pros and cons to allowing audio from a screensaver, but I guess it would be nice to have the option.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

when do you expect we can see the audio working Kevin? since that was to get 2.6 out. now that were past that. when do you think we can see being able to add audio.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

I would suggest looking at the audioapp sample application as an example of creating an application screensaver that can continue playing audio when the screensaver comes on.

We don't currently have plans to enable audio on the system wide screensaver (the underlying channel may already have the audio hw resources)

--Kevin
0 Kudos
Dawnsie

Wouldn't it be awesome to get audio ??

Fish tank is amazing but no bubbles 😞

Fireplace great...but no crackling 🙂

Etc.