Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play local videos in roVideoScreen/roVIdeoPlayer

Is it possible to store HD videos in the app itself, making a folder named videos in the app, and play them in roku 3 video player? I mean just for the testing purpose , not releasing the app in the roku app store.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Play local videos in roVideoScreen/roVIdeoPlayer

Even if it were theoretically possible, you'd have a hard time fitting an HD video, even after zipping, into the 2MB package size that you're limited to. For testing purposes, why don't you just install a free web server, like Apache, on your computer that can serve up the videos.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

It would be possible to play a video from USB - a few people hooked up USB hard drives to their roku and used the USB channel app to play them that way.
0 Kudos

Thanx beltown, will try that, if that is actually possible, it would really help me to test the app that I am developing. 😄
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Or you could get an Amazon s3 account which is free for what you are doing. Until you have a volume of users downloading you will pay probably less than a dollar a month. That combined with the free s3 browser (pro version is 30 bucks well worth it). You will have a good testing environment. S3 can remain your content delivery if you feel that it's adequate
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos