Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Play built-in sounds?

Is there any way to trigger the built-in sounds when drawing your own screen instead of using the built-in screens? More specifically, I'm drawing my interface on a roImageCanvas, and would like to play the selection sounds when the user switches button selections. I've tried using an roAudioPlayer and some of my own very small mp3s, but the buffering delay, while only a few milliseconds, is still very noticeable which defeats the purpose.

On a related note, is there any way to access the built-in graphics for use with an roImageCanvas (maybe via an undocumented system:/ path or something)? I've used some of the graphics from the mock-up PSD as a stand-in, but it'd be much easier if I could use the built-in graphics.

Thanks...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Play built-in sounds?

I would be interested in these two things as well.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

My impression is that they are aware of the need of some sort of system sounds interface, and plan to address that in a future SDK release.

"TheEndless" wrote:
I've tried using an roAudioPlayer and some of my own very small mp3s, but the buffering delay, while only a few milliseconds, is still very noticeable which defeats the purpose.

"a few milliseconds" is being generous. I was seeing anywhere from 750 milliseconds to a second delay when I was testing, but that was a few revs back. In some cases, very short sounds didn't seem to play at all.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
dev42
Visitor

*bump*

Has this been dealt with? If so, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

peace & 42
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

0 Kudos