Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesr219

Custom Application to play videos controlled via external system.

Hello, 

I'd like to use Roku in a custom application. I've developed an application which basically plays videos when commanded from another computer. Right now I'm just using the Roku's in developer mode, but I'd like to not have to deal with the developer mode when updates happen, etc. 

Is it possible to create and publish a channel for this application. It wouldn't be useful for anyone other than those in our organization. Is there some type of Roku concept for private channels only available for a certain organization?

The application is for information videos shown to patients controlled via an external system which queues up the videos needed for the specific context.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Custom Application to play videos controlled via external system.

It sounds like your application is better suited for our sister company, BrightSign (https://www.brightsign.biz/) which makes products for digital signage.  Roku is a consumer platform and only has limited private channel distribution using beta channels which have significant limitations.

0 Kudos
jamesr219

Thanks, I will look into that. 

0 Kudos
jamesr219

Does application/channels developed for Roku port easily over to BrightSignOS?

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@jamesr219 wrote:

Does application/channels developed for Roku port easily over to BrightSignOS?

No. It's been many years and the APIs have vastly diverged - for example Roku moved to so-called "Scene Graph" homegrown UI almost 10 years ago 

I think you have couple of options here with Roku:

1. Install your code as "beta app" on account with the devices (before these were known as "private channels" and had no limitations - but now the beta app will un-publish itself in 3 or 6 months, something like that)
  2. Publish it as regular app but don't have it work if someone installs it by accident - show screen explaining it's for limited internal use - and only have it work when controlled from another computer (i presume over ECP? then maybe it also sends some form of "password" that way to unlock the functionality) 
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.