Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Plans to be able to tell TV to sleep?

If you're going to add this feature, then can you add a request for an option to disable the screensaver from the script? I don't like when I'm listening to an mp3 on a springboard screen and the screensaver turns on.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
If you're going to add this feature, then can you add a request for an option to disable the screensaver from the script? I don't like when I'm listening to an mp3 on a springboard screen and the screensaver turns on.
Have you seen this thread: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30818&p=188340 ?
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

In that thread the suggestion is to close and recreate the existing screen before/during the screensaver background thread, so not really what I'm looking for here. Thanks though. The whole point is to make it an easy scriptable switch to either disable the screensaver for the lifetime of the app, or to disable the signal to the tv so the tv's power saving/sleep features kick on.
0 Kudos
avdp
Visitor

I am glad I am not the only one wondering about this...

I have a roku connected to a large computer monitor mounted on the wall. Since it's a monitor, there is no remote and it's not convenient to reach for the power button. I used to never turn it off - it would just go to sleep when whatever I connected to it turned off.

Now, the backlight never goes off, since the roku is always sending a signal.

This seems like a no brainer feature. One of the "screen saver" option should actual allow to simply stop the video out, and let the monitor/tv sleep as well.
0 Kudos
gudmundur
Visitor

I agree and I am really surprised that this display off feature hasnt been implemented.

No need for display's t ostay on if either you forget to turn the tv or display off.
Also asking kids to remember to turn of all devices is never going to work.

Plus it is an energy waste to leave to TV turned on

regards
Gudmundur
0 Kudos
WillRok
Visitor

This is one feature that really needs to be implemented. My monitor has stayed on far too long because the roku doesn't stop sending a signal. Please implement this quickly, every other device on the market does this to save energy and wear/tear on the monitor.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The problem with saying "every" is that there is always an exception. But I'm sure Roku understands what you're trying to say. ie - just off the top of my head, if I connect my PS2 to a TV and pause a game, it leaves the tv on and active displaying the paused screen for eternity.
0 Kudos