Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hikeit
Visitor

Plans to be able to tell TV to sleep?

I see that in the past n months, a powersave option was added to BrightAuthor for certain BrightSign boxes...

Is there any chance there are plans to give access to powersave from BrightScript? I'd love to be able to tell the Roku to turn off my TV after a certain amount of time, and if I could get to powersave from brightscript I could write a screensaver channel that does it.

Thanks!
-Jesse
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Plans to be able to tell TV to sleep?

No. What do you do for a tv with a rotary dial for channels and composite to VHF adaptor with roku?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

I tried telling my TV to go to sleep but it just wasn't listening, no matter how much I raised my voice.
0 Kudos
hikeit
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
No. What do you do for a tv with a rotary dial for channels and composite to VHF adaptor with roku?

I put the TV on the curb with a "free" sign on it.

I'm asking a serious question. Every other device I've used in my setup and in my friends' setups time out after a certain time and either turns off or turns off the sync line on the output, so the telly goes "no signal" and turns off. Google TV does this, Apple TV does this, boxee box does this, dvd players do it. Why can't the Roku? I'd buy an apple TV and give away the roku, but it doesn't support amazon instant.

Many folks with ceiling mounted projectors set them up to turn on when they receive signal, and turn off when signal goes away... roku wouldn't work with this setup at all.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Roku goes to sleep whenever the screensaver turns on, by default it's set to 5 minutes in the settings menu. Roku uses 1 watt of power in 'sleep/screensaver mode'. Your tv itself should have some setting available (now that you bought a new updated tv) accessible through the tv's remote, probably even a power button is there to turn the tv off.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

I second hikeit's request...if not as a brightscript function, then as a user preference in settings.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
Roku goes to sleep whenever the screensaver turns on, by default it's set to 5 minutes in the settings menu. Roku uses 1 watt of power in 'sleep/screensaver mode'. Your tv itself should have some setting available (now that you bought a new updated tv) accessible through the tv's remote, probably even a power button is there to turn the tv off.

While the Roku goes to sleep, it still outputs a signal over HDMI, so as far as the connected components are concerned, it's not off. What I believe hikeit is suggesting is a way to have it turn off all output when it goes to sleep so power sensing devices can turn off with it and/or the ability to control that from BrightScript. It's been requested quite a few times in the past, but I don't think Roku has ever officially commented on it.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

If your tv is off, how can we turn your brain to mushy-mush?

Joel
Developer Program "Coordinator"

😄
0 Kudos
hikeit
Visitor

Better my TV be off if I doze off and leave the TV on for hours... the power saved could be spent on a new Roku!

Who do I talk to about this? How do I get it to happen? You added the feature to BrightSign, why not Roku as well?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
If your tv is off, how can we turn your brain to mushy-mush?

Joel
Developer Program "Coordinator"

😄
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

BrightSign and Roku are two separate companies now.

There is a feature/bug request for this from a few years ago that is still open, I've added this thread to the bug report.

- Joel
0 Kudos