Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Picasa web albums

Congratulations on getting it done! I got tired of dealing with Google's ever-changing API nonsense. I'm glad you were able to get something working with it. Makes me feel less guilty about my reluctance to support my Picasa code any more.

You may want to make an announcement in the General Discussion Forum at some point. I know several people there have asked about Google Photos support.
0 Kudos
radyohead
Visitor

That's great ! Thank you for the effort.
I tried it really quickly this morning. The preview didn't show the pictures full screen, I'll have to give it more time tonight though and I'll give you more feedback.
0 Kudos
taylorcw
Binge Watcher

Thanks Belltown!   Yeah, I'll post something over once this v1.5 is approved as people will have to re-link due to a API scope change.

Radyohead, I'm curious, when you say preview is not full screen, are you referring to an album slide show or screensaver? Slide show display/download size is configurable in the Settings screen based on what your Roku player will support. SD vs HD vs FHD.  The screensaver is currently hard set at image max size of 400 px which is to mimic the jumping around of photos like other screensavers.

We could add an option to show full size photos in the screensaver as maybe people would want this..  I'm open to feedback!
0 Kudos
radyohead
Visitor

"taylorcw" wrote:
Thanks Belltown!   Yeah, I'll post something over once this v1.5 is approved as people will have to re-link due to a API scope change.

Radyohead, I'm curious, when you say preview is not full screen, are you referring to an album slide show or screensaver? Slide show display/download size is configurable in the Settings screen based on what your Roku player will support. SD vs HD vs FHD.  The screensaver is currently hard set at image max size of 400 px which is to mimic the jumping around of photos like other screensavers.

We could add an option to show full size photos in the screensaver as maybe people would want this..  I'm open to feedback!

Yes, that's what I meant, talking about the screensaver only. That might be it, 400px. It shows a smaller picture relative to the size of the TV. The rest of the screen is plain black.
If I can suggest improvements on the screensaver: have it full screen + implement a Ken Burns effect. That'd be the best way to enjoy my pictures whenever no one is using the Roku.
0 Kudos
taylorcw
Binge Watcher

Ok,  I'll track it here:   https://github.com/chtaylo2/Roku-GooglePhotos/issues/6      I'd have to think about Ken Burns effect.. that would be interesting.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"taylorcw" wrote:
I'd have to think about Ken Burns effect.. that would be interesting.

Coincidently, someone complained recently how Roku does not have screen savers akin to AppleTV's Aerial SSs.
Well! A Ken Burns effect (TIL the name) can get close to that on the cheap
0 Kudos
taylorcw
Binge Watcher

Google Photos v1.6 has been submitted for release. radyohead, I think you'll be most interested in the three new screensavers now: AppleTV like multi-scrolling photos, Fading fullscreen photos, and the normal small random positioning. Roku typically takes about a week to test and approve. Hope everyone enjoys!

Below are the official release notes. 

New Channel Features

1. Multiple new screensavers have been added to let you enjoy your photos while this device is inactive. Including multi-photo scrolling!

2. Album paging has been added for large albums with over 1,000 items.

3. Addition of "new features" popup when entering the channel after newly updated. Only shows once.
Bug fixes:

• Linking non gmail.com accounts issue fixed

• Slideshow speed changes not being honored in same session

• Message tip would not show on albums with single photo

• Various other small bugs
0 Kudos
radyohead
Visitor

Looking forward to trying ! I will let you know.
0 Kudos
a2597
Visitor

Most Excellent news!

I lost all the work I had done on the version by belltown, my laptop containing the code crashed, and in my haste to get it back up and running I forgot to copy the code off before formatting and re-installing windows. (the kicker is that I actually wasn't worried about any files on that development machine, as it all was stored in repos... except for a few photos and this code...).

I'll see about adding back in the clock feature I had added, showing time and date. Just used to having it now.
Also, the ability to fade images IN may be nice as well. (rather than pop-in, fade out)

Things to look into I guess...more robust options. I'll see what I can come up with. 🙂

Thanks for working on this!
0 Kudos