Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a2597
Visitor

Re: Picasa web albums

Do you have any plans to continue developing this?

I've updated the screensaver portion to display full screen, and added a date/time text space to it, so as a screensaver it works wonderfully.
Right now I'm trying to see about smoothing the transition between images, as it's rather jerky (looks like it fades out in 4-5 increments, rather than a smooth transition). Basically trying to make it look a little more updated.
I can share the code I've changed, but I'm fairly confident it will only work on 1080p screens, not certain how to make it fit all screens. I'll have to work on that a bit more. Also took ages to figure out how to get a clock that updated properly.

If I can figure out how to get things into options, I might be able to set up things like "enable clock" and "Set full screen", for screen saver options, but I'm brand new to this language, so I'm really just feeling my way in the dark here.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"a2597" wrote:

I've updated the screensaver portion to display full screen, and added a date/time text space to it, so as a screensaver it works wonderfully.
Right now I'm trying to see about smoothing the transition between images, as it's rather jerky (looks like it fades out in 4-5 increments, rather than a smooth transition). Basically trying to make it look a little more updated.
I can share the code I've changed, but I'm fairly confident it will only work on 1080p screens, not certain how to make it fit all screens. I'll have to work on that a bit more. Also took ages to figure out how to get a clock that updated properly.

If I can figure out how to get things into options, I might be able to set up things like "enable clock" and "Set full screen", for screen saver options, but I'm brand new to this language, so I'm really just feeling my way in the dark here.

Is the main Picasa API code working for you? I was playing around with mine the other day and finding that most calls to the API were getting an error 403 or 400 response, even though it appeared that the authentication tokens were valid. I assumed that Google was removing access to most of their API functions. If your code is still mainly working then I'll look into it some more and see what was going on. I have a feeling though that this is one of those typical Google situations where they're changing/removing functionality with no concern for backwards compatibility.
0 Kudos
a2597
Visitor

Thus far I haven't had any issues with the API calls, it's been loading my photos and albums with no issues at all.
I've been adding the channel via the dev server, so that may make a difference? Or maybe it's just that I've created the google key more recently?

I'm wondering if changing from roImageCanvas to roScreen might be a good idea as well, as it would allow smoother transitions and improve proformance. But again, I'm new to all this, so I'm just playing around with it.
0 Kudos
Lesiegrist
Visitor

I haven't tried to use your Picasa2 app for a while but tried to go back to it recently. No matter how many times I try to log in, even when it says it's successful, I always get the error code 😞 is there way to fix it or is the app dead for me now?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"Lesiegrist" wrote:
I haven't tried to use your Picasa2 app for a while but tried to go back to it recently. No matter how many times I try to log in, even when it says it's successful, I always get the error code 😞 is there way to fix it or is the app dead for me now?

I think it's dead for good, unfortunately. Google deprecated portions of their Picasa API in May, which has had an impact on the Picasa2 code. I haven't had any luck getting things working again. You could give the Roku Picasa public channel another try. I know that RokuJoel has done some work on it, although I'm not able to get that channel working for me either.
0 Kudos
a2597
Visitor

I created my app API keys here:
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive/

Using that to get the ClientID and ClientSecret, I plopped those into private.brs, and it's worked without a hitch.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"a2597" wrote:
I created my app API keys here:
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive/

Using that to get the ClientID and ClientSecret, I plopped those into private.brs, and it's worked without a hitch.

I'll try creating new keys again and see if that makes a difference, although the OAuth2 mechanism seems to be returning good tokens each time it does a refresh, which wouldn't normally happen if the keys were invalid.
0 Kudos
kenelena
Visitor

Hey there...getting the authentication dialog, the code works on Google, but getting 400 bad request errors.  I know that Picasa is dead, any plans to develop for Google Photos?
0 Kudos
radyohead
Visitor

"a2597" wrote:

How do you manage to get the pics full screen? So far I have small versions of my pics, I'd love to have them fullscreen. Did you modify the code on github and loaded your own version? If so, I'd love to get a few pointers to be able to do the same ! Thanks,
Alex.
0 Kudos
taylorcw
Binge Watcher

Folks,  I'm happy to announce the new version of Google Photos (replacement for Picasa) is now up in the Roku Channel store. This has been sitting on my to-do list since early last year, and finally completed. Well we're never really done, right..   🙂 

The app has been rebranded "Google Photos"   https://channelstore.roku.com/details/1 ... otos-album
This expands on the code Chris Hoffman and Belltown originally created. It now has FHD support and best of all, will shortly have multi-user support. This means you can link multiple accounts into the same channel, which many people have asked for.   (This multi-user support should be in the Roku Channel store in the next 5-6 days)

I hope you enjoy watching your photos/videos as much as I've enjoyed working on this channel. I will be keeping up with issues & feature requests in Github.  https://github.com/chtaylo2/Roku-GooglePhotos

ENJOY!
Chris Taylor
0 Kudos