Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uxicorp
Visitor

Oops - generated a new genkey - was that a mistake?

I have a public app that is working. I made some changes to it. Zipped up the new version and ran genkey again to get a new password and dev id. Ran through the steps to package it. Uploaded the new package and it won't initialize the "Submit" button. So I went back and tried all steps again. Ran Genkey a third time. Now Packager is a dead link. Can't go there. Tried to "Rekey" but that said "invalid public key".

Did I screw this up by running genkey too many times? How to wipe everything out and start over?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Oops - generated a new genkey - was that a mistake?

What you don't want to do us upload an update to an existing app signed with a new genkey. So cancel those submissions. Download the existing published package and use that to rekey your device with the password you used previously to running genkey.

You always want to use the same key for an app, this will preserve all information the app stores between versions - otherwise you are looking at wiping out any links, bookmarks, favorites etc once the channel update goes live.

- Joel
0 Kudos
uxicorp
Visitor

Phew! Thank you. I just rekeyed the device using the current package file and original password as you suggested.

Now I went to upload it on https://developer.roku.com/apps/package

When I click "Save Changes" it does not give me an option to submit it for publishing. What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Huh :?:
For a good measure, try through https://owner.roku.com/Developer/Apps/ - which is an older (and in my experience clearly more reliable) version of the developer portal.
0 Kudos
uxicorp
Visitor

awesome thanks!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"uxicorp" wrote:
When I click "Save Changes" it does not give me an option to submit it for publishing. What am I doing wrong?

Updates to submitted channels do not require you to hit "submit", the submission is immediately overwritten with the new .pkg file.

- Joel
0 Kudos