Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer: $500 to customize "videoplayer" template

Offer: $500 to customize the Roku SDK's "videoplayer" template

We're trying to start our own channel but I'm not a programmer and our web guy can't readily speak the Roku SDK language.

What we need, modified from the videoplayer template:

1) Using the template, there's an extra subcategory that's not needed.

In other words, it goes Technology -> "The Mind" or "Global Issues"

We need "The Mind" and "Global Issues" layer removed. (Selecting Technology would just show the arced-16x9 list of videos.)

2) It seems that the template has half the settings embedded in the .brs files and half in the XML. I'd much rather it all be in the XML file. For example, the StarRating is in the .brs file, so all the videos have the same 4 out of 5 star rating. That doesn't even make sense. Yet I can't seem to get them into the XML file. The items shown in the roku developer .zip file (documents/RokuDvp-ComponentReference.pdf - page 9) don't match up with the XML items.

Ideally, -all- the things that can be set for each video would be in the XML files.

3) a. On the "video information screen" it needs a widescreen version of the image. Right now, it's squished into a 4x3 space.
b. It would be nice if it had the same "resume playing" and "play from beginning" like Netflix (if possible).
c. The description area is too small. (It's much larger on the Netflix screen.)

4) The XML should contain an array so that the Roku downloads the bandwidth appropriate choice. RokuDvp-ComponentReference.pdf - page 9 shows the list, but I'm missing something.

5) The channel will be for members only, so it needs to be linked to their accounts. The docs say that you can link to username/password accounts, so I figure that would be easiest, as they already have standard .htaccess based username/password access.

6) On the main screen of the channel, one of the choices should be settings. There, the user should be able to select the "option" to have the channel restricted to those who enter a pin each time they first access it (that session). That way, those who wanted it to be hassle-free and not require a pin wouldn't be annoyed and those who wanted it to be a little more locked down could have that option.

There should also be a way to tell the roku to forget the username and password.

If you're interested, please reply here or e-mail programmerjob@gmail.com

I'm a fairly computer savvy guy; I just need a template to handle the various variables.

Also, we've found that the MP4's play slightly faster than normal. Is there a setting to control playback speed or is it some compatibility issue with the encoding of the MP4?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Shlepzig

Re: Offer: $500 to customize "videoplayer" template

The code for the videoplayer template is the property of Roku, and is not under an open license.

I think you need permission from them to re-use the code for a commercial venture.

-Shlep'
0 Kudos

"Shlepzig" wrote:
The code for the videoplayer template is the property of Roku, and is not under an open license.

I think you need permission from them to re-use the code for a commercial venture.

I thought the whole point was for people to create channels, but I'll check things out further.
0 Kudos

"Shlepzig" wrote:

The code is the property of Roku, but the SDK gives you a specific license to "use and modify the sample code provided to You as part of the SDK, and incorporate it or any derivative work thereof into Your Channel Application;"

That's item 2 A iv from the Channel Developer Agreement.

So, this project's all clear. Now I just need to find someone who wants/needs $500 for a few, likely simple, modifications... if you already speak the language. 😄
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Our intent is that people can use the sample code distributed with the SDK as a starting point for developing your own channels. We grant you a license to use this code subject to "Channel Developer Program Agreement" you agreed to before downloading the SDK.

Please see section 2. "Grant of Rights, Related Requirements and Restrictions" regarding the license to use the SDK sample code.

--Kevin
0 Kudos

So, with that out of the way, any takers?
0 Kudos