Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: New project Prince of Persia (soon will be open sourced)

New version is ready (Alpha v0.6), see the changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzuH9f3ADU

If you have a Roku 3 or 4 and want to try it, send me a PM so I can send you the link for the private channel.

The changeset is below:
* Add: Intro screens and song
* Add: Start Menu with Screen Mode options
* Add: Allow use the remote control straight or sideways
* Add: Event to Open Gate and Exit Door
* Add: Event to move to next level when enter Exit Door
* Add: Change level with remote keys (REW and FF)
* Add: Bitmap font support for Status Bar
* Add: Event to pick Potion and drink
* Add: Event to Pick Sword
* Add: Flash background depending on the CMD_EFFECT
* Add: Status bar shows kid lives according to health and maxHealth properties
* Add: Status bar blinks when is the last kid's life
* Add: Healing Potion (red): increases 1 energy point
* Add: Life Extension Potion (big red): Extended energy in 1 point and restore all
* Add: Poison Potion (blue): decreases 1 energy point
* Add: Injury from medium fall: : decreases 1 energy point
* Add: Die from high fall
* Add: Sound Effects (Run, Bump, Gate, Suspense, Exit Door, Drink, Land, Loose, Spikes, Sword, Button)
* Add: Loose plate that fall over a button should press it (L4R16->R17) - Not on JS
* Add: Restart game with death

Plus several bug fixes.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Very impressive, almost hard to believe it can be done on Roku!
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

I'm guessing you can't move and jump at the same time? Seems like that's always a difficult hurdle with not being able to receive multiple buttons simultaneously.

Very cool though. Never realized the original was open source.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:
I'm guessing you can't move and jump at the same time? Seems like that's always a difficult hurdle with not being able to receive multiple buttons simultaneously.

Very cool though. Never realized the original was open source.

As you can see in the video, we can jump when running, because of the "inercia" the original algorithm had implemented, the only limitation is the "shift" key that allow you to walk or hang, so I had to implement it as a on/off toggle button, that works ok, if you train you can run, jump and hang as you do in a PC keyboard.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

BTW if you guys want to try it let me know in a PM I can send you link for the private channel.

The source I will open when I have it with most of the features done, I'm having a lot of fun doing it so far 🙂
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:

This is a port from a 1989 ("before you were born" :mrgreen:) game for Apple ][, whose keyboard was even more limited (as explained here - basically buffer of length 1, with only key-down codes). But even so, developers found a way having key combos
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

This is truly amazing. I'm old enough to remember it as one of the first "good" games for the PC. Never tried it on an Apple (and never will :mrgreen: ).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

What I'm doing is nothing compared to what this guy did:
popc64.blogspot.com

Before the author release the code, this guy disassembled the Apple II code, and ported it to Commodore 64, the blog describes the process.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Holly FAQ! 😛
This is amazing - to see it working, it is.

After a quick check, seems to me to work reasonably well on Roku LT and RokuTV too, so 3xxx and 5xxx models should be able to run it too, not only 4xxx! I used infrared remotes - worked fine. But one of them does not have "Replay", so i have suggestion to accommodate for that, i.e. don't rely on A/B/Replay buttons being present, use OK/*/Back instead.

The idea of showing 2x2 and 3x3 rooms on screen is interesting... not sure a quite buy into it, since part of the game challenge was keeping (mental or not) map of the dungeon, this makes it easier - suppose i am "originalist". Also the non-4xxx players seem rather "syrupy" in such modes.

Can the 1x1 (original) mode be zoomed 2x? Thus it will thereabout fit the screen, currently image seems small centered.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Holly FAQ! 😛
This is amazing - to see it working, it is.
After a quick check, seems to me to work reasonably well on Roku LT and RokuTV too, so 3xxx and 5xxx models should be able to run it too, not only 4xxx!

Great to know!

I used infrared remotes - worked fine. But one of them does not have "Replay", so i have suggestion to accommodate for that, i.e. don't rely on A/B/Replay buttons being present, use OK/*/Back instead.

I will do it

The idea of showing 2x2 and 3x3 rooms on screen is interesting... not sure a quite buy into it, since part of the game challenge was keeping (mental or not) map of the dungeon, this makes it easier - suppose i am "originalist". Also the non-4xxx players seem rather "syrupy" in such modes.

Can the 1x1 (original) mode be zoomed 2x? Thus it will thereabout fit the screen, currently image seems small centered.

This is on my backlog since the beginning, the issue is that Roku 2D API does not have a simple way to do this, I will have to scale every sprite and save on temp, other game engines has this as generic setting.
0 Kudos