Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuBradO
Visitor

New Eclipse Plugin Release 9/30/2013

A new update to the BrightScript Eclipse Plugin is available via the updates site:
http://rokudev.roku.com/updates/

The full Eclipse Plugin Guide can be found here:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ugin+Guide

Release Notes:
This release is a large update containing bugfixes and enhancements for the communications sub-system, type sub-system, language parser, and export wizard.

Support for the new developer mode username/password authentication is in place, but is not used unless a given Roku box requires it ( i.e. firmware 5.2 or later ).

It is important to note that the plugin now requires Eclipse to be running under Java 1.7 or higher. If Eclipse's Java version is lower than 1.7, the plugin will be disabled.
Non-compliance with the Java version requirement does not prevent plugin installation or Eclipse startup, but will result in no BrightScript plugin features being visible, including the BrightScript perspective.
If you require an older version of Java as your machine default, you may still point any Eclipse instance to a different Java installation, by using the -vm argument in the eclipse.ini file (see Eclipse's help for details).

The following items were added or fixed in this release:

Enhancements:
Comms - 5.2 Firmware Requires Username and Password for all to-box HTTP communications
Comms - Adjustments to socket timeouts and enhanced language for adjusting the values
Export wizard - Add user option for per-project auto-increment version number in manifest for each run
Export Wizard - Automatically refresh project explorer after zipfile creation and package file creation
Export Wizard - Use ECP to send "Home" keypress prior to start of sideload/package operation to prevent unnecessary timeouts and related errors
Type system - Change single-valued type system to multi-valued type system with distinct single declared and multiple possibles

Bugfixes:
Plugin dependencies - Change Java minimum requirement to 1.7 to avoid Java memory management bug
Export Wizard - IP addresses typed in manually (or an empty address) are not checked for validity before attempting HTTP operations
Export Wizard - Nullpointer exception and partial localization checks failure if 1 or more locale subfolders does not exactly name match one of the supported locales
Export Wizard - Manually entered Roku Box IP addresses aren't persistent in either Export wizard or Debug console
Export Wizard - Unexpected error while retrieving package file
Language Parser - Add Function as a valid explicit parameter and return type
Language Parser - Anonymous Functions with empty bodies cause NullpointerException during parsing, causing source files to not open in BrightScript editor
Type System - Several type-related checks ignore user preference "perform type checks"
Type System - AA var returned from func/sub calls don't contain their members
Type System - Known callers check returns a false positive when all callers are associative arrays
Type System - Return type check incorrectly sets return type to void if type of return expression is unknown
Type System - Use of ifAssociativeArray and ifEnum methods in any return expression beginning with m. cause all .brs source editors in a project to fail
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: New Eclipse Plugin Release 9/30/2013

Very nice update, the plugin now finally correctly identifies ".Trim()" and ".Mid()" and don't mark these methods as errors, that was very annoying.

Unfortunatelly I have an issue to report:

During the Export process if Roku do not respond in time (and it happens a lot) we get the timeout message, after this happens, if you close the "Export" window next time you try to "Export" again the wizard will not pass the first step, you hit "Next" button and it does nothing. I have to re-start Eclipse everytime this happens.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

During the Export process if Roku do not respond in time (and it happens a lot) we get the timeout message

You should consider increasing the user preference value for export timeouts via:
Window->Preferences->BrightScript->Deployment->Roku Box communications timeout in seconds
Steadily increase the value until you no longer get timeouts during the export process.

"marcelo.cabral" wrote:

, after this happens, if you close the "Export" window next time you try to "Export" again the wizard will not pass the first step, you hit "Next" button and it does nothing. I have to re-start Eclipse everytime this happens.

Given the description, it's likely this is not connected to your timeout issue, but instead is a known bug related to the discovery of roku boxes (SSDP).
That bug's been fixed and the updated plugin was silently published this past Friday evening.
If you installed/updated to the latest plugin before Friday evening, try updating the plugin.

If you installed/updated after Friday evening and still have the problem - Clear the error log, reproduce the problem, then check the error log again for entries with a stacktrace mentioning one or more BrightScriptDeployment* classes, and post or PM me that stacktrace, and I'll take a look.

Cheers
0 Kudos
duncanhall
Visitor

FYI:

With a vanilla install of Eclipse for Java Developers (Kepler SR1), the plugin install failed with the following:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group 1.0.0.201310021442)
Missing requirement: BrightScript Plugin 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.plugin 1.0.0.201310021442) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.dltk.core [2.0.0,2.1.0]' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group 1.0.0.201310021442)
To: com.roku.brightscript.plugin [1.0.0.201310021442]

Installing the Dynamic Languages Toolkit first (via http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates/) and then installing the BrightScript plugin solved the issue.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"duncanhall" wrote:
FYI:

With a vanilla install of Eclipse for Java Developers (Kepler SR1), the plugin install failed with the following:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group 1.0.0.201310021442)
Missing requirement: BrightScript Plugin 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.plugin 1.0.0.201310021442) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.dltk.core [2.0.0,2.1.0]' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: BrightScript Core 1.0.0.201310021442 (com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.feature.group 1.0.0.201310021442)
To: com.roku.brightscript.plugin [1.0.0.201310021442]

Installing the Dynamic Languages Toolkit first (via http://download.eclipse.org/technology/dltk/updates/) and then installing the BrightScript plugin solved the issue.

Correct.

That information, and other helpful items, is mentioned in the Plugin guide ( http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Eclipse+Plugin+Guide ) which was referenced in the first post above.
At a minimum, it's a good idea to read the installation section (section 1) of the guide before first installing.

Cheers
0 Kudos
duncanhall
Visitor

Apologies, it is in fact in the plugin guide, sorry. Could definitely be made more distinct from the Linux Multiple Shared Users problem though (which I seemingly lumped it into and ignored).

Thanks.
0 Kudos
kiran
Visitor

Hi,

I am installed the new plugin, but for some reason the plugin doesn't seem to be disabled.

My eclipse is running on java 1.7 and tried on different releases of Eclipse(Helio,Indigo, Juno). Am I missing something?

I installed the dltk 2.0 plug in as a dependency as well

Thanks
Kiran
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You can discuss the Eclipse plugin on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=64368

- Joel
0 Kudos