Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belltown
Roku Guru

New ATOM package roku-develop -- deploy to multiple Rokus

For those of you interested in using the ATOM text editor for Roku development as an alternative to Eclipse, Notepad++, shell scripts, make files, etc. I've just released a new package, roku-develop with the following features:

• Runs on any platform supported by Atom: Windows, MacOS, and Linux

• Automatically discover Rokus on the local network

• Zip the current Roku project directory

• Deploy to multiple Roku devices

• Automatically increment manifest build_version (can optionally increment, or use current date, or current date and time)

If you're not yet familiar with Atom, check out the Atom Flight manual. There's also a really good Atom course on Lynda.com (they offer a free 10-day trial if you're not already a subscriber -- you can even watch the course on their Roku channel), or check out the Atom Editor Tutorials on YouTube.

Some of the concepts used in roku-develop were based on the roku-deploy package by mmcaulay. However, roku-develop extends the concept to include automatic discovery, and simultaneous deployment to multiple devices. Other useful Atom packages for roku development include language-brightscript and language-vb.

The code is on GitHub. I welcome any feedback, bug-reports, pull-requests, etc.

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: New ATOM package roku-develop -- deploy to multiple Rokus

Hey thank you, that's awesome. Those are the things that kept me from being able to even evaluate it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

This is working great! 

A simple feature that I was missing in Atom was to have the manifest build number incremented.

Nice job.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I'm a little interested, but I'm REALLY comfortable with my Notepad++ workflow, I'll think about it
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@belltown, i have a question - of all things, why Atom?
Considering there is a better, smaller, faster IDE and its name is VSC (Visual Studio Code).

The "Visual Studio" part is a misnomer or branding exercise, VSC has no common code with Visual Studio. VSC runs on Windows, Mac, Linux. If i remember, it's better than Atom 2-3x times on EACH of these criteria: installation size, RAM and speed. Yes, VSC by Microsoft - but the new, open source Microsoft. It's not even made in Seattle but in one of the European offices... Netherlands, perhaps? (at SVCC a MS evangelist told us exactly where but i promptly forgot)
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
@belltown, i have a question - of all things, why Atom?
Considering there is a better, smaller, faster IDE and its name is VSC (Visual Studio Code).

Why? Mostly for historical reasons. I'd been using Visual Studio for most of my development, as well as Notepad++ for some BrightScript coding. I was looking for a cross-platform editor when I was thinking about playing around with Linux. About that time, I discovered VS Code, and tried out one of their first preview releases. I wasn't very impressed. Some functionality I was looking for just wasn't there yet, and it didn't offer much in the way of extensibility -- although it does now. Shortly after, I gave up on VS Code, and my Linux forays.

More recently, after upgrading to Windows 10, and encountering numerous hassles with it that impeded my ability to get work done, I decided to give up on Windows development entirely in favor of Linux, except when absolutely necessary. So I needed another editor. I'd never revisited VS Code after my initial experiences; however, I'd been hearing a lot about Atom. Atom seemed to offer what I needed in an editor and was highly customizable. There were already other Roku developers using it  who seemed happy with it. The issues that others have complained about (executable size, memory consumption, load times, etc) have not been a factor at all for me.

It seems that VS Code has come a long way since the early preview release I tried out. If I were looking at starting with VS Code or Atom today, I could easily see myself seriously considering VS Code. I may even go back to trying it when i get some free time and see if it offers anything I need that I can't get from Atom.
0 Kudos
priya_sp
Visitor

im getting this error when i try to deploy the brightscript code in atom editor..anyone can help?
should i install node.js??

0 Kudos
priya_sp
Visitor

getting this error 

Exception when creating zip file

0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
I'm a little interested, but I'm REALLY comfortable with my Notepad++ workflow, I'll think about it

I was in Notepad++ for my first 4 or so years of Brightscript dabbling.  Then moved to sublime Text and just last week switched over to Atom due to being on a project with mixed line endings (  :? )
So far I'm liking it but maybe will check out this M$ entry EnTerr speaks so highly of!
aspiring
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

What are "mixed line endings"?
0 Kudos