Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raiderWes
Visitor

Need Clarification on Roku Billing Services

Hi all,
I've recently been looking into starting a channel that would use the TVOD model (one time transaction for "rentals"), I've spoken with a few developer agencies, and would like some clarification on a few things. I've used the search function and haven't really been able to find direct answers to these questions, so any help would definitely be appreciated.

• Can I still use any billing service if my channel is private?

• Since users will have the ability to "rent" videos via one time transaction, do ALL of my videos need to be available within the Roku store? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
24i
Streaming Star

Re: Need Clarification on Roku Billing Services

• Can I still use any billing service if my channel is private?
As long as the channel is private you can pretty much do whatever you want I think. But the channel will never appear in the Roku Channel Store of course.

• Since users will have the ability to "rent" videos via one time transaction, do ALL of my videos need to be available within the Roku store?
I think the short answer here is: yes. However, if all the videos cost the same you could create a Roku Product that has the type of 'one-time purchase' and make the user purchase it before watching the content. How the consuming of this product is and what you do if the video is not finished and the user navigates back or something I'm not sure. I think that when the user purchases it through the Roku Store it immediately gets used as well, so the backend should set this video available for this user until the rental period ends. The frontend should be able to ask your backend if the rental period is over or not, and if it is: present the purchase option again. 
0 Kudos
vinoth
Visitor

Re: Need Clarification on Roku Billing Services

I need clarification on recurring billing concept if I delete the package from the store, Will it be a bill for the next month whoever purchased that package?
0 Kudos