Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dellsweig
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
"DeftOne" wrote:
Is MyMedia doing any sort of scaling of the photos when it displays them on-screen during the slideshow? For some reason the quality of the photos seems to be significantly less than when viewing the same photos through the Flickr channel.

It is. Right now it's scaling only to SD resolution instead of HD. We will soon make it pick the right one for your television.

If you have an HD television and you want it to scale to HD you can open server/common.py and go to line 298.

Change

THB_DIM = THB_SD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_SD_DIM

to be

THB_DIM = THB_HD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_HD_DIM

Let me know if that looks comparable to flickr in your case.

ElWubo

Made these changes and the pictures look great on my 1080p TV

Thanks
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
foliveri
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"foliveri" wrote:
Does anyone have any instructions for loading this ON ubuntu 9.1. i am not a linux guy, but I got to fed up with windows, i loaded ubuntu and so far i like it. I have python loaded 2.6, i ran springboard ok and loaded the client to the roku. Tht problem I have is server side, i cannot even access it with 192.168.10.199:8001/feed

I am not sure why, i have looked around alot, but cannot find the answer.

thanks,

Fred

Great! That's the OS I do all my development in.

A few things to check:

Did you start the server (either by clicking start server in springboard or running "python rss_server.py")?

Is that IP address the IP address of the machine the server is running on? Alternatively you can use

http://localhost:8001/feed

Also, did you change the port number to be anything different?

Once the server is running do you see any errors reported to the console?

I have tried so many things, I have the ip set to the ip of my box, the port i have tried 8001 as well as many others.

I still cannot get the server to work. I run the server in python idle, i set the parameters, i have even loaded the client from the springboard app. There are no error messages from python when i launch the server. Could it be a permissions thing?? I have the port set to 8001, the path to python is /usr/lib/python2.6

I have tried localhost and I have tried the ip address directly, still no luck.

I tried loading mediatomb, which runs on port 41952 and that worked. I am not sure why, could it be i need to open a port??

thanks,

Fred
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"foliveri" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
"foliveri" wrote:
Does anyone have any instructions for loading this ON ubuntu 9.1. i am not a linux guy, but I got to fed up with windows, i loaded ubuntu and so far i like it. I have python loaded 2.6, i ran springboard ok and loaded the client to the roku. Tht problem I have is server side, i cannot even access it with 192.168.10.199:8001/feed

I am not sure why, i have looked around alot, but cannot find the answer.

thanks,

Fred

Great! That's the OS I do all my development in.

A few things to check:

Did you start the server (either by clicking start server in springboard or running "python rss_server.py")?

Is that IP address the IP address of the machine the server is running on? Alternatively you can use

http://localhost:8001/feed

Also, did you change the port number to be anything different?

Once the server is running do you see any errors reported to the console?

I have tried so many things, I have the ip set to the ip of my box, the port i have tried 8001 as well as many others.

I still cannot get the server to work. I run the server in python idle, i set the parameters, i have even loaded the client from the springboard app. There are no error messages from python when i launch the server. Could it be a permissions thing?? I have the port set to 8001, the path to python is /usr/lib/python2.6

I have tried localhost and I have tried the ip address directly, still no luck.

I tried loading mediatomb, which runs on port 41952 and that worked. I am not sure why, could it be i need to open a port??

thanks,

Fred

Dont know if this will help but start your server then check to see if it is listening on port 8001.

You do this by typingg the following at a shell prompt:

# netstat -a|grep 8001

You should see an entry for a process listening on the port.

If you do not see anything - the process was unable to open the port for listening.
0 Kudos
foliveri
Visitor

I tried the netstat -a|grep 8001 and it returned nothing, so I think you are correct it is not opening the port.

I am open to help, i cannot seem to get this working. Does it matter where the roku application files are? I would think not since it does open them ok, but should they be in a specific folder on the server? I had them on my old windows drive, so they are loaded from there using the python idle interface.

thanks,

Fred
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"foliveri" wrote:
I tried the netstat -a|grep 8001 and it returned nothing, so I think you are correct it is not opening the port.

I am open to help, i cannot seem to get this working. Does it matter where the roku application files are? I would think not since it does open them ok, but should they be in a specific folder on the server? I had them on my old windows drive, so they are loaded from there using the python idle interface.

thanks,

Fred

Are you running the server as root?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

As long as you're using a high port number (eg 8001) there's no need to run as root.

My first guess is that your python path is incorrect. Did springboard pick that for you automatically? I'm running ubuntu and python is installed at "/usr/bin/python" so try setting your python variable in springboard to that.
0 Kudos
foliveri
Visitor

that was it!! I cannot believe i did not try that. I had it pointing to a 2.6 path..

thanks,

Fred
0 Kudos
DeftOne
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"DeftOne" wrote:
Is MyMedia doing any sort of scaling of the photos when it displays them on-screen during the slideshow? For some reason the quality of the photos seems to be significantly less than when viewing the same photos through the Flickr channel.

It is. Right now it's scaling only to SD resolution instead of HD. We will soon make it pick the right one for your television.

If you have an HD television and you want it to scale to HD you can open server/common.py and go to line 298.

Change

THB_DIM = THB_SD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_SD_DIM

to be

THB_DIM = THB_HD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_HD_DIM

Let me know if that looks comparable to flickr in your case.

Yes, they look much crisper now after making that change. Thanks.

Now it appears that the only difference between the Flickr channel and MyMedia are the dimensions of landscaped photos. In Flickr they fill the entire screen of my TV (42" 1080P LCD), whereas in MyMedia they do not. I haven't made any direct comparisons to see if photos in Flickr are being cropped to get them to fill the screen, which I'm wondering if it may actually be doing. My preference would be for the photos to fill the entire screen, but only if there isn't any significant cropping or loss in quality.

Overall, a great addition to an excellent channel. Thanks!
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
myplanet
Visitor

Adding subtitles and watching on Roku:
I've been watching movies with subtitles using the My Media channel. I've been able to hardcode the movie with the srt, using avidemux (handbrake does not do this for mp4). I will provide some more info later on scripts that are working for me, but here are some links for more info about this open source software:
http://avidemux.org/
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"DeftOne" wrote:
Now it appears that the only difference between the Flickr channel and MyMedia are the dimensions of landscaped photos. In Flickr they fill the entire screen of my TV (42" 1080P LCD), whereas in MyMedia they do not. I haven't made any direct comparisons to see if photos in Flickr are being cropped to get them to fill the screen, which I'm wondering if it may actually be doing. My preference would be for the photos to fill the entire screen, but only if there isn't any significant cropping or loss in quality.

Overall, a great addition to an excellent channel. Thanks!

How much of the screen do they fill? I don't have an HDTV to test on. There is one parameter that sets the amount of underscan to adjust for monitor overscan. Right now it's set to 5%. If that could be what's causing it, I can add that option to the configurable settings.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos