Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

You don 't really need to run springboard.py. Try rebooting and then running "python mymedia.py" from the command line or just double clicking "mymedia.py". That should start the server. Then try to browse to http://<computer IP>:8001/configure (e.g., http://192.168.0.100:8001/configure).

Let me know how that goes.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

looking for answers

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
Content-Type: audio/mpeg
Content-Length: 1842619
Accept-RangesContent-Length: 8192
Content-Range: bytes 0-8192/1842619
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:55:21 GMT
Server: CherryPy/3.1.2 WSGI Server

i am trying to find where the content-length is generated in the code so that I can set it to the actual value so that streams can now be cut into smaller pieces so that wan streaming works
0 Kudos
renojim

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the line in mymedia.py that reads:
size = os.stat(fname).st_size
but I'd have to look more closely to see how that size is actually used. Why do you ask? Are you saying that the file you're trying to stream isn't 1842619 bytes? Could it be that the file is over 4Gb? I've never tested large files, so I'm not sure what would happen. The output looks to be pretty much what I'd expect otherwise.

-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

The problem is that the web server is not strictly compliant so when a webpage requests a source or when a wan device requests an item, instead of chunking it back it tries to send the whole piece, but it is missing a portion. So instead of a re request it times out and thinks it is missing a portion even though is sent the whole chunk out.
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

Hi,
Can anyone update mymediabeta channel in the roku store? I made few small fixes for crashes whit the chained servers. There was an access to undefined variable and the client used to crash. Please post a reply if you can and I will send the updated file.
I also tried unsuccessfully to add HLS streaming support to the server. Because of how server operates HLS would be hard to support but it would be very useful. I tried and succeeded generating HLS live streams with rtmpdump and ffmpeg from live internet video channels. It would be nice to support it in mymedia. I used simplevideoplayer and monogoose server to test it and it works well with Roku.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim

I can, but probably won't be able to do much until after the holidays.

-JT

0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

Did you manage to push your changes to git? I could check in to git and you can merge from there.
0 Kudos
renojim

No. :oops: Git and I don't seem to get along and I'm quite the procrastinator. Until I get off my lazy butt, the quickest way to get it updated would be for you to send it to me. I'll PM you an email address.

-JT

0 Kudos
RAMUSE1970
Visitor

I know this is a very old post, but I need some info on Videos...

To play videos from my PC over my wi-fi, what is the maximum file size, resolution & bit rate that will work? I ask this, because I am trying to play some DVD movies that I have converted to MP4. The movies all try to load, but get so far and nothing happens. When I play the extras from the same DVD, which of course where encoded in the same manner as the movies, they play just fine! So I am assuming it is a matter of file size and memory limits on the Roku 3 it's self. Or possibly the issue is with the MY Media app!
0 Kudos
xwin
Visitor

I don't have Roku3 but I have played all kinds of video sizes on Roku2 XS and all were OK. The issues is most likely with your encoding. MyMedia outputs log when Roku tries to access the file. From the log you can see how playback progresses.
The question that you have posted does not have enough information to give you any advice. You do not specify what size files you have or resolution or any other parameters of the stream. I have played files up to 2GB without any issues - multi-hour recordings in SD which is what you would have encoding from DVD.
0 Kudos