Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdurrant420
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Any one else's rokus drop off last night?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Nope.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
cnuxoll
Visitor

Looking for solutions: I have a NAS but it's pogoplug and inaccessible via Roku, except using Plex or PlayON (Roksbox does not work because it does not have the proper IP protocol). I have taken a number of DVDs and BDs from my collection and ripped them to mkvs and mp4s for my daughter to watch on the iPad and our Android tablets using Plex, PlayON and the pogoplug apps. Here's the issue, though: In order to access this movies, my computer has to be on and running the Plex and PlayON media server. I can still use the pogoplug with the computer off, because it's an always-on NAS, but then I can't use Roku because there's no pogoplug channel. I have a separate 1 TB drive that is also always on and connected to my router via USB. I want to copy the movies from the NAS to this drive and then make a private channel to access them (not distribute - personal use only). I will not be making a pogoplug channel. The 1 TB drive and my router configuration does not make them discoverable via http, which is why I cannot use Roksbox, and also I cannot seem to figure out if it's possible to install a media server to the drive (like mongoose), but I have failed so far in my attempts. I will be taking several trips this year, so leaving my computer on for an extended period while I'm away is not an option - I need access to the 1 TB drive and the NAS content, and I will be taking one of my Rokus with me.
0 Kudos
renojim

I'm using a Seagate Dockstar (Pogoplug clone) as I write this. I'm not familiar with all the variations of Pogoplugs so I don't know what it would take to get your specific version to work with MyMedia, but it's probably possible if you're up for a little work. Basically, you have to get Python v2.6 loaded and then the rest is pretty easy. This post by Gunslinger2 gives some fairly detailed information on how it's done. You can also search this thread for "Pogoplug" and you'll find some more information.

Good luck!
-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

So I installed Virtual Box on my linux server that was running my media. That meant it also updated my python, which is why it broke for me. All is well now, but I did notice something post the process. If you are using flash player 10.1 the web player will auto start the next song, but the newest update breaks that. Thoughts?
0 Kudos
renojim

I'm not following you. Are you talking about using the server and playing music via a browser? That's something el.wubo would have to help you with. He rarely checks in here anymore, but you can generally get a hold of him via the Google group mailing list.

-JT

0 Kudos
tdurrant420
Visitor

Sorry, let me explain.

When using the browser based music player and the most current version of flash player, the next song does not auto begin at the end of the current song. When I rolled back to 10.1 flash player on the client machine, it will keep playing through the list.

In other news I tried plex, and I was not impressed.

Also, are you aware if you drop an .srt in the same folder as the mp4 the roku will pick it up and play it? Well at least on my series (n1000) and my series 2 XS(3100X)
0 Kudos
renojim

That's what I thought you meant. I've never used the browser based music player. Like I said, el.wubo may have some thoughts.

The SRT support was added a long time ago. It, the Roku, can be picky about SRT files, so don't be too surprised if one doesn't work. Make sure the file ends with a blank line if you do find one that doesn't work.

-JT

0 Kudos
frazelle09
Visitor

Am running MyMedia on my PCLinuxOS-2013 and two days ago our cable co. went out for a while. i've gotten my Roku reconnected, but for some reason or another, i can't get my MyMedia server running...

i had a little bash script which would just change directories and backup the existing config.ini, then run mymedia.py and finally copy the backup copy of config.ini over the "new" config.ini.

i just read about springboard.py and ran it, but got the following errors...

frazelle09@localhost server]$ python springboard.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "springboard.py", line 22, in <module>
config.read(config_file)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ConfigParser.py", line 286, in read
self._read(fp, filename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ConfigParser.py", line 482, in _read
raise MissingSectionHeaderError(fpname, lineno, line)
ConfigParser.MissingSectionHeaderError: File contains no section headers.
file: config.ini, line: 1
'\xef\xbb\xbf[config]\n'

then, on an off thought, i ran the mymedia.py the same way and bash reported the same errors. Duh. Anybody know how to fix this thing - lol?

Have a great evening! 🙂
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
0 Kudos
renojim

I wouldn't bother with springboard.py. Could you post your config.ini? Does it start with:
[config]
?

-JT

0 Kudos