Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
I could finally get my pictures to show up on the roku box. Thank you so much.

Glad to hear it! What was the problem?

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
I have another Roku box too and was wondering if multiple registration codes are supported.

I have a feeling the guy that implemented the registration codes didn't take multiple units into account. The registration process is just a way to get the channel on the Roku to link up with the server automatically. What you'll have to do is load the channel on your second box which will retrieve a new code when you start it up. Then, edit config.ini in the server directory with your favorite text editor (like notepad) and change the four character 'regid' to the new code and start the server. There's no need to enter the new code in the web page. The server and client should sync up and then the regid isn't really used anymore.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

Re: can't get to the server setup page?

"tbbycatt" wrote:
I have everything set up, but when I try to link to the server configuration page...it won't connect with anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. I took the easy way and set it up through the private channel.

Finally got the mymedia.bat file to run...get the message:

warning: this server has not completed rendevous

I can now get the page where it lists my music, my media...

ok...can't get it to register now?

The registration process is just an automated way of getting the server's IP address passed to the channel on the Roku. If you've made it to the point where you can see your music, etc., you don't really need to register.

-JT

0 Kudos
huzefa_mehta
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
I could finally get my pictures to show up on the roku box. Thank you so much.

Glad to hear it! What was the problem?

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
I have another Roku box too and was wondering if multiple registration codes are supported.

I have a feeling the guy that implemented the registration codes didn't take multiple units into account. The registration process is just a way to get the channel on the Roku to link up with the server automatically. What you'll have to do is load the channel on your second box which will retrieve a new code when you start it up. Then, edit config.ini in the server directory with your favorite text editor (like notepad) and change the four character 'regid' to the new code and start the server. There's no need to enter the new code in the web page. The server and client should sync up and then the regid isn't really used anymore.

-JT

The problem was the NAS server. I had to add the exact network path instead of the mounted network drive.

So I have the following:
regid = kuja

Should I do the following (if wxyz is the new code):
regid = kuja wxyz
0 Kudos
tbbycatt
Visitor

I can't see anything on the mymedia roku channel...it keeps saying I have to register.
0 Kudos
renojim

"huzefa_mehta" wrote:
So I have the following:
regid = kuja

Should I do the following (if wxyz is the new code):
regid = kuja wxyz

No. Just change it to:
regid = wxyz

Make sure you stop and restart the server after you change config.ini.

The registration is only really used one time to get the channel to find the server. After that, the server is saved on the box. You can see the IP address of the server if you go into "My Settings".

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"tbbycatt" wrote:
I can't see anything on the mymedia roku channel...it keeps saying I have to register.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant you were able to see your music from the Roku. You should be able to pretty much follow the directions I gave to huzefa_mehta, i.e., just edit config.ini and add the registration code the channel displays. For example:
regid = wxyz

Then start the server and it should display something like, "submitting 'http://192.168.1.102:8001' to rendezvous server as wxyz". If it displays some kind of server error, stop the server and try again.

-JT

0 Kudos
tbbycatt
Visitor

Honestly I think I'm just lost with this one. Not sure where you want me to change it at...
0 Kudos
renojim

Sorry, I guess I thought you were further along than you are. You should be able to go through the walkthrough. It sounds like you've made it up to step #4 if your server is started. When you click on "Configure Your Server", what comes up? It will either ask for a registration code (the one that should be displayed on your TV) or will give you a few options with the last one being "Retry Registration". If it's the former, just enter the registration code displayed on your TV. If it's the latter, click on "Retry Registration" and enter the registration code. The rendezvous server sometimes has problems, so it may take a couple of tries to get it to go through. Once the rendezvous server accepts the code your Roku and your MyMedia server should sync up.

It sounds like you already have your folders setup for music, etc. I'm not sure how you got to that point without completing the registration part.

-JT

0 Kudos
tbbycatt
Visitor

When I click on 'configure the server' it goes to this IP addy...http://127.0.0.1:8001/ and it won't open.

According to the roku my IP addy is 192.168.1.140....but using that addy does not open the web page....but if I go to 192.168.1.143:8001 it pulls up the mymedia directory. I can see it there, but it doesn't connect to the roku channel to see it there.

It doesn't ask me for any of that other stuff at all...this is the step I get hung up on.
0 Kudos
renojim

I don't know why http://127.0.0.1:8001/ wouldn't work. I thought it was universal. How about http://localhost:8001/?

http://127.0.0.1:8001/, http://localhost:8001/, and http://192.168.1.143:8001/ should all be equivalent (assuming your MyMedia server is at 192.168.1.143) and you're trying to pull up any of these locations from the same machine as the server.

I don't understand how http://192.168.1.143:8001/ could pull up a directory. It should either pull up the registration or the configuration if it's already completed registration.

The easiest way around all this is to find config.ini in the 'server' directory where you unzipped everything. If it doesn't exist, just copy this into Notepad (or any text editor) and change the lines as appropriate.

[config]
music_dir = C:\Users\JT\My Documents\My Music
video_dir = C:\Users\JT\My Documents\My Videos
photo_dir = C:\Users\JT\My Documents\My Pictures
server_ip = 192.168.1.140
roku_ip = 192.168.1.140
max_folders_before_split = 10
python_path = C:\Python26\python.exe
theme = default
collapse_collections = False
server_port = 8001
regid = asdf

These are the default directories under Windows Vista or 7. You'll have to change the music_dir, video_dir, and photo_dir for your situation and/or OS. The python_path will be different on other OSes as well.

Change the 'regid' to whatever four character code the channel displays on your TV. Then save it as config.ini in the 'server' directory and restart the server. When you start the server it should display "submitting 'http://192.168.1.143:8001' to rendezvous server as asdf" and the channel should be able to discover the server.

-JT

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.