Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAT123
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Well after multiple tries it seems that I am very close to having this figured out and IT IS AWESOME !!! I'm having some trouble getting it to pick up all my music. Can I link it to my iTunes or do I need to move it all over to MP3 or WMV. It plays some music in my Amazon MP3 file but can't seem to hook up to iTunes.

Thanks....and I'll say it once again...THIS IS AWESOME..!!!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you have a lot of iTunes stuff, this may not be the best channel for you. Its best use is for MP3s, but there is also support for WMA files. The box itself only supports those two formats. I try to avoid iAnything like the plague, so I'm not the best person to ask for help. However, if there are MP3s in your iTunes library you should be able add them to your MyMedia Music folder. The easiest way would be to copy them, but if you're on a Windows machine you could also create a junction in your Music folder to whatever folder iTunes uses. I don't know much about how iTunes organizes files, so I can't be sure how well this will work.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"rraheja" wrote:
I am using 2ch AAC faac LC (CBR), nothing fancy. Of a few movies I encoded only a couple give this problem.

Interesting. So all your videos have been encoded with the same settings and some work and some don't? Do you have any 720p movies that work without any problems?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MAT123
Visitor

Thanks RenoJim. Reading about My Media was one of the main reasons I chose the Roku over AppleTV because it offset the one advantage I thought AppleTV had. I don't have much in iTunes and it's all from CD's so I can get everything into MP3 and WMV and should be able to go from there. I've been able to get our photos on the Roku now and I'll spend some time playing around with it but this really should be a dealbreaker for anyone on the fence about a Roku or a ATV.

Thanks Again....
0 Kudos
rraheja
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"rraheja" wrote:
I am using 2ch AAC faac LC (CBR), nothing fancy. Of a few movies I encoded only a couple give this problem.

Interesting. So all your videos have been encoded with the same settings and some work and some don't? Do you have any 720p movies that work without any problems?

-JT

Yes, I just used the same settings and kept Adding to Queue. Of the 10+ movies, I randomly tried 4-5 movies and three played well; 2 gave that issue (but worked with fast-fwd) so I cannot say if all others work or not. I would've put these online except that the files are 3-4GB each.
0 Kudos
dbeedle
Channel Surfer

Photo viewing issue...

I have been giving MyMedia a try using an NSLU2 (unslung) as a server. It appears to work well for video but I have an issue with images (haven't messed much with music). My Media see the directories and files just fine but it seems to have issues displaying jpg images. Sometimes it works, sometimes it seems to just hang with "Retrieveing" one the screen. When it does this I also notice that the spinner on the screen does not spin. Waiting a long period doesn't help but hitting left or right on the remote causes a balack screen that looks like the slide show with no image displayed. Pause will also pause and then play as you might expect but, no image. There is also nothing indicating an error in the log, just HTTP Get that are OK.

This has accured with two versions of the server including the ExtremeAvacado version I downloaded and insalled last night.

One note, when running springboard.ph with the ExtremeAvacodo version, I recieved a message that my Python is not configured for TK, no module named _tkinter. Is this a show stopper?
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Re: Photo viewing issue...

"dbeedle" wrote:
I have been giving MyMedia a try using an NSLU2 (unslung) as a server. It appears to work well for video but I have an issue with images (haven't messed much with music).

I can't really help out here, but just to start at the simplest place...do you have python imaging library installed?
0 Kudos
dbeedle
Channel Surfer

Re: Photo viewing issue...

"canaws" wrote:
"dbeedle" wrote:
I have been giving MyMedia a try using an NSLU2 (unslung) as a server. It appears to work well for video but I have an issue with images (haven't messed much with music).

I can't really help out here, but just to start at the simplest place...do you have python imaging library installed?

Yes, python26 - 2.6.6-1 and py26-pil - 1.1.7.1.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was using different versions of MM.
Now I cleaned up everything and wanted to get a freshstart. In Roku I added this private channel.
Started -> Gave the activation code.
Now went to rokumm.appsot.com and gave the code I saw in Roku. Now normally it used to go to the next page for configuration. But now that page is not moving. I am still in the screen which displays the code. In my pc, it took me to the walkthrough page.
Did I miss something?
0 Kudos
nico1982
Visitor

I'm curious and while I've scanned upwards of twenty to thirty pages I haven't seen any information that could confirm or deny the possibility of using MyMedia with a non-local server. I'd love to use My Media (or something similar) with content that is hosted on the ftp of a website (for the moment)... essentially I'd just be using the hosting for the site as a place to store video files. That said, I really haven't been able to find much out there in the roku forums that takes something like mymedia or roksbox and alters it for a non-local media streaming solution... Has anybody had any luck with this? Is this something that could possibly work? Or am I completely off in the wrong direction. I'm new to Roku and working away at it, but am hoping to possibly limit the amount of time I waste on things that will inevitably fail. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos