Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dellsweig
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
Could you download and try this video and see what happens? The "206 Partial Content" message tells me that you have the proper server, so it could be a problem with your video encodes.

-JT

Jim

This is the same issue I have been reporting!!! In my case it seems to have started (stopped working) with release 1517 of the Roku firmware.

As you know - my videos were playing fine (well some of the rotation issues on iPhone videos you knew about) and once 1517 got pushed to my roku's I get the status bar about 5 to 10 percent and then back to the folder... I did not change anything on the server side..
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
cdndave
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"cdndave" wrote:
Hi Renojim

could you provide a sample of the command you use? I have an elaborate bat file, for 90% of the files it's great - the other 10% cause me some grief 🙂

Thanks

cdndave

How complicated do you want to get? The basic command is:
HandBrakeCLI -i video.avi -o video.m4v -O -r 29.97

I usually add to that the size of the input file. It's a quick and dirty way to roughly preserve the quality.
HandBrakeCLI -i video.avi -o video.m4v -O -r 29.97 -S [size of video.avi in MB, rounded up]

Now if you really want to get complicated...

I use 4NT (or Take Command) from JP Software to replace the Windows command line interpreter - highly recommended. The free TCCLE is all you need. I created an alias to encode files:
hb=D:\Apps\Multimedia\HandBrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe -i "%@filename[%1]" -o "%2%@name[%1].m4v" -O -r 29.97 -S %@int[1+%@eval[%@filesize[%1]/1000000]] %3

You have to put that line in a file, like 'alias.lst', and then load it with: alias /r alias.lst

This way to encode a file I can just type:
hb video.avi d:\Videos\

To encode all the files in a directory, I can do this:
for %a in (*.avi *.mov) hb %a d:\Videos\

Hope this helps!
-JT

Thanks JT

this is exactly what I wanted. I've never used the -S switch yet... I'll look into it

Once again thanks!

D
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"dellsweig" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
Could you download and try this video and see what happens? The "206 Partial Content" message tells me that you have the proper server, so it could be a problem with your video encodes.

-JT

Jim

This is the same issue I have been reporting!!! In my case it seems to have started (stopped working) with release 1517 of the Roku firmware.

As you know - my videos were playing fine (well some of the rotation issues on iPhone videos you knew about) and once 1517 got pushed to my roku's I get the status bar about 5 to 10 percent and then back to the folder... I did not change anything on the server side..

I don't have 1517. I have 1509 and a later build as part of a beta and they both work. Are you saying not even the "cool bird" video will play, or is it only some?

I haven't forgotten about the rotation issue. I am surprised that with all the built-in video cameras these days others haven't brought up the same issue.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:

-JT

Jim

I don't have 1517. I have 1509 and a later build as part of a beta and they both work. Are you saying not even the "cool bird" video will play, or is it only some?

I haven't forgotten about the rotation issue. I am surprised that with all the built-in video cameras these days others haven't brought up the same issue.

-JT

Nope - cool bird does not play
0 Kudos
renojim

"dellsweig" wrote:

Hmm... I know you said you haven't changed anything on the server side, but have you tried stopping and restarting it? What you've described sounds like the problem that was addressed a while back. Do you get the "206 Partial Content" messages on the server? Are you running the private channel version, or one of the earlier versions?

I'm not sure what to try since I don't have build 1517. Is there anyone else that has that build that can verify whether there's a problem with videos?

-JT

0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:

Hmm... I know you said you haven't changed anything on the server side, but have you tried stopping and restarting it? What you've described sounds like the problem that was addressed a while back. Do you get the "206 Partial Content" messages on the server? Are you running the private channel version, or one of the earlier versions?

I'm not sure what to try since I don't have build 1517. Is there anyone else that has that build that can verify whether there's a problem with videos?

-JT

I have the private channel version. I went thru all the basics - start/stop, made sure python was down, etc etc. Even rebooted my server....

I cut and pasted logs a little earlier in the thred - previous page.

The ONLY difference between when this worked and when it doesnt work is 1517. I sent RokuJames a PM asking if he could downgrade my Roku's
0 Kudos
renojim

Funny, I looked back over the page a couple of pages back and apparently I had build 1517 at one point. That box has since updated to 1521. However, canaws and I both had everything working with 1517.

The "206 Partial Content" messages won't appear in the log file; they'd show up in the server window itself. Check to see if you're getting those messages, or just "200 Ok" messages.

-JT

0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Funny, I looked back over the page a couple of pages back and apparently I had build 1517 at one point. That box has since updated to 1521. However, canaws and I both had everything working with 1517.

The "206 Partial Content" messages won't appear in the log file; they'd show up in the server window itself. Check to see if you're getting those messages, or just "200 Ok" messages.

-JT

I run the server as a service so I don't have the cmd window.....
0 Kudos

Same problem as dellsweig here, apparently. the Cool Bird video doesn't play for me either. the 206 partial content message is still coming up on my terminal window.
0 Kudos
renojim

herbertbrubaker, what version of the firmware is on your box? It's under "Settings", "Player Info".

-JT

0 Kudos