Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"jimmyswimmy" wrote:
I am using the developer mode version of My Media because I would like to be able to help out.

You are a brave man. 😉

"jimmyswimmy" wrote:
I am using what I think is the upcoming release (but I could be mistaken): netguy204-roku_media_server-d65dec6

There's your problem. That's no longer the upcoming release and is in fact quite behind. In particular, it does not have the fix for v2.7 (or was it 2.8?) of the Roku firmware, so hence the most useless error message the Roku supplies: "play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected."

After a quick look around github, I believe this is the most up to date release, although I sent el.wubo an update for the client before the holidays that has not been added yet.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
impiouspunk
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"impiouspunk" wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can help me. Any time I play a mpeg4 file it will play for about 5 minutes and then the roku will crash and reboot. Ive never had this happen with any other channel only occasionally when the roku returns from idle.

Has anyone seen this before? Are there any way to get any logs from the roku? I couldn't discern any real problems from the server log.

I haven't seen this before. I'd suspect a dying power adapter, but you say it doesn't happen with other channels. The only thing I can suggest is to load the channel in developer mode and telnet to port 8085 to see if anything useful gets printed out before the crash. There aren't many, if any, ways to crash the box via the code. The goal is to not be able to crash the box and as problems are found, the good Roku people patch the firmware.

-JT

Yes, I kinda ruled out hardware as this doesn't happen at any other time, other than the frequent 'return from idle' that many Roku users have complained about. I have 2.9 build 1509 on my Roku XD|S which I guess is the latest?

I've tried different movies and they all do the same thing. These are DVDs rips using DVDFab6 and then converted to MPEG4 using Handbrake. These movies play fine on my PC, iPad and on my Xbox via DLNA.

I put my Roku in developer mode and ran the channel, but did not get any result from the telnet session on port 8085. Should I put the Roku in developer mode and then install via the Github files as opposed to the mymedia private channel? Do I need to remove the channel and the server on my PC?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
jimmyswimmy
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
In particular, it does not have the fix for v2.7 (or was it 2.8?) of the Roku firmware, so hence the most useless error message the Roku supplies: "play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected."

Oh man, I spent a while looking around github but the fact that the random character sequence at the end had "dec" in it kept me thinking it was pretty recent. Yeah, it's time to update my developer's kit to the new stuff. Anyway that got me going at least - thanks!

EDIT: Just testing things using that same ray charles/bird video (which doesn't start up, I have to skip a few seconds worth to get it going) - my daughter was copying the bird's movements. I should have made a video of it. Good stuff.
0 Kudos
totomarley
Visitor

Anyone know of a way to set up mymedia so it scans multiple drives for music, pictures and videos???...I got it to read on drive c, but I would like it to find files on my external hard drives.. each has its own drive letters
0 Kudos
renojim

What you want to do is to create a "junction" such that the other drives appear as sub-directories in your main Music (or Video or Photos) directory. For example, if I had a Music directory on my F drive and my main music path was C:\Music, I'd create a junction by opening a cmd window, changing directories to C:\Music, and then issue this command:
junction FdrvMusic F:\Music

Then when I'd browse through my music using MyMedia I'd see a top level folder named "FdrvMusic" that contained all my music from my F drive.

-JT

0 Kudos
totomarley
Visitor

I understand what you are saying...I open a cmd window as admin in vista and tried to rename to C:\User\Brad\Music which is the path to my folders and it says cmd unrecognized....help please
0 Kudos
Java_Az
Visitor

"totomarley" wrote:
I understand what you are saying...I open a cmd window as admin in vista and tried to rename to C:\User\Brad\Music which is the path to my folders and it says cmd unrecognized....help please

You have to be in that Directory to issue the command. So open a Cmd , then do a" cd C:\user\Brad\Music " that will put you in your music folder in the CMD then issue the " junction FdrvMusic ? ? ? ? ? ? were the question marks are you need to put the path where your music is on another drive. cd stands for change directory. I mainly use linux so i can't test this out. If it doesnt work you might want to look into MKlink it will do the same thing and is built into Vista /Win7 .
0 Kudos
sobojo
Visitor

I've followed czarjosh's great how-to for the Mac and I must be getting close... Server is up, and I can see my files.

It's the (seemingly) simple part that's giving me trouble. The MyMedia channel on the Roku gives me a four letter code. When I type this in on rokumm.appspot.com it redirects me to the walkthrough page. However, nothing happens on the Roku. I'm only given the option of canceling the registration.

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
renojim

"totomarley" wrote:

For whatever reason, MS did not include the junction utility in any version of Windows. Download it from this link.

-JT

0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

Greetings and happy new year...

In the past couple days - I can no longer play any video on either of my Roku boxes via MyMedia.

Photos and music work fine

It looks like both my boxes have 'upgraded' to 2.9 1517.

I restarted the server (python) and rebooted both Rokus

Symptoms:

Navigate to myVideos - select a video. Loading bar appears, gets abount 1/3 of the way then loading screen closes and returns to MyVideos page.

Here is a cut from the server log

DEBUG:root:serving request for K:\Videos\drone1.mp4
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of video/mp4 for K:\Videos\drone1.mp4. filesize is 1915521
DEBUG:root:serving K:\Videos\drone1.mp4
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of video/mp4 for K:\Videos\drone1.mp4. filesize is 1915521
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=24-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 24
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=140-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 140
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=240-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 240
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=276-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 276
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=316-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 316
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=374-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 374
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=402-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 402
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=438-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 438
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=618-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 618
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=6742-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 6742
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=7426-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 7426

Also seeing stuff like this in the log

DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=Balloon.mp4&key=video
WARNING:root:WARNING: Tried to create feed item for `K:\Videos\.\Daves Song.mp4' which does not exist. This shouldn't happen
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=dogs++2.mp4&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=dogs+3.mp4&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=dogs+4-temp-1.mp4&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=dogs+5.mp4&key=video
WARNING:root:WARNING: Tried to create feed item for `K:\Videos\.\dogs 6.mp4' which does not exist. This shouldn't happen
WARNING:root:WARNING: Tried to create feed item for `K:\Videos\.\dogs 7.mp4' which does not exist. This shouldn't happen
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=dogs+8.mp4.mov&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=Dogs.mp4&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=drone1.mp4&key=video
WARNING:root:WARNING: Tried to create feed item for `K:\Videos\.\even more dogs.mp4' which does not exist. This shouldn't happen
WARNING:root:WARNING: Tried to create feed item for `K:\Videos\.\more dogs.mp4' which does not exist. This shouldn't happen
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.20:8001/media?name=sailing.mp4&key=video

Any guidence?? Could this be a buildc 1517 issue??
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos