Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"mikebdoss" wrote:
Success! I ran into problems at first because I didn't have the latest version installed (I got some errors in terminal), but those all disappeared once I installed the latest version.

Sorry, I forgot that part about having the latest version. There have been so many "preview" releases that it wouldn't be possible to go back and fix every one of them.

"mikebdoss" wrote:
In even better news, whatever it is I'm doing to encode videos (or some other variable, who knows) is playing well with 2.8 in terms of not shrinking my videos on the sides.

What are you using to encode your videos?

"mikebdoss" wrote:
Thanks JT - I appreciate all your work!

No problem!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
hoffmcs
Visitor

Works great. Nice work Jim and many, many thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim

"mikebdoss" wrote:
No errors at all, but I'm sure my daughter will let me know if she notices any at longer playback times.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if you were behind in releases you haven't seen the "Loop All" videos option. You can put all her videos in one folder, select "Loop All", and let the electric babysitter take care of the rest. :mrgreen:

-JT

0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:

"mikebdoss" wrote:
In even better news, whatever it is I'm doing to encode videos (or some other variable, who knows) is playing well with 2.8 in terms of not shrinking my videos on the sides.

What are you using to encode your videos?

I use Handbrake on Ubuntu and use the "default" settings (the presets that startup with the program; the "Regular - Normal" preset). I hope that's enough description - video encryption isn't my technical specialty. I haven't tested all my videos (including those that I converted from anything other than .avi), so I'll let you know if I notice any differences.
0 Kudos

Thanks so much Jim my videos are working again. I did have to update my installation to the development release which had me scared because the official directions have us running springboard.py which is a gui program and my media server is on a headless sheevaplug. Well, I figured out you can just add a parameter: theme = default and all is good again. Thanks again your work is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
I haven't had time to test this as much as I would like, but I have other more pressing life issues right now and it may be a few day before I can get back to it, so don't be surprised if there are a few glitches.

To apply the fix:
1) Stop your Python server. If you're using the springboard script, it may not actually kill the server, so use taskmgr (Windows) or the equivalent for your OS to make sure all references to python processes are killed.
2) Locate the server directory of the project. You should see several Python source files in it, like rss_server.py, springboard.py, etc.
3) Once the server is killed, do yourself a favor and delete the my_media_log.txt file in the 'server' directory. It may have grown to be quite huge. This update will stop logging all but error messages, so it shouldn't grow anymore.
4) Delete *.pyc in the 'server' directory. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it can't hurt. Note: that's pyc not py
5) Download rss_server.py and while you're at it also get springboard.py and common.py. Overwrite the files with the same names in the 'server' directory. The fix is in rss_server.py. The springboard.py file contains a fix for the script not actually killing the server. It should now. The common.py file contains support for SRT subtitles files. It's not in the client/channel yet, but it will be eventually so you may as well get it now. There's a couple of other fixes in rss_server.py, like MP3s that didn't have any meta-data tags at all would cause the server to crash (if I'm remembering correctly).
6) Restart the server using springboard.vbs or whatever method you've been using.

Let me know how it goes!
-JT

I don't have *.pyc for whatever reason, but I followed the rest of the directions and it's working great so far!
0 Kudos
Robert121571
Visitor

Thank you so much. I'm now rolling again. I was having fits when the Mymeda went down with the 2.8 update.

1 Question been a while since I installed this so can't remember was the install just a decompressed zip to the system if so to repackage should just be zip back up the folder after you put in the new files. Am I right. If so I can do that and put the file up for people to get for a time being till a hosting site for the file can be found.
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

Yes! Thank You! Been missing my mymedia channel. Working great now.
0 Kudos
renojim

"Robert121571" wrote:
Thank you so much. I'm now rolling again. I was having fits when the Mymeda went down with the 2.8 update.

1 Question been a while since I installed this so can't remember was the install just a decompressed zip to the system if so to repackage should just be zip back up the folder after you put in the new files. Am I right. If so I can do that and put the file up for people to get for a time being till a hosting site for the file can be found.

Yes, just replacing those files in the ExtremeAvocado zip should be enough. I should create a new github repository, but until I sit down and really learn git I'm not really comfortable using it. It seems to cause me more problems than it solves. I know I've been saying it for months, but I really do plan on creating a private (or possibly public) channel and then all this fussing with zips and developer's mode will go away. There will still need to be a way to update the server when new firmware releases expose as of yet undiscovered bugs. 😉

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"mikebdoss" wrote:
I use Handbrake on Ubuntu and use the "default" settings (the presets that startup with the program; the "Regular - Normal" preset). I hope that's enough description - video encryption isn't my technical specialty. I haven't tested all my videos (including those that I converted from anything other than .avi), so I'll let you know if I notice any differences.

Interesting. I use Handbrake (on Windows) with mostly defaults and I'm getting squished videos. I've only tried a few, though. I really have stop letting my Roku (and this forum) distract me from the things I really, really, need to get done.

-JT

0 Kudos