Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quikone
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

That worked! I also tried the gui way again and figured out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks for all your help,

Ron
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Excellent! I'm glad you got it worked out. Feel free to ask any other questions.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

Hey JT

Is the Music portion working? Now that I have the video working I thought I would move on to music. The address to the video is; /home/ron/Video and the address to the music is; /home/ron/Music. When I try to go tho the music folder the system says 'Communications with the server has been lost'. Yet, if I go to the Video folder everything is okay. I really don't get this. If the music is in the wrong format, would that cause a problem like this?

Ron
0 Kudos
quikone
Visitor

Solved........ There was one file in the folder that was somehow blocking access. From now on I will try the files before I add them to the folder. Is there a favorite file for audio?

Ron
0 Kudos
renojim

"quikone" wrote:
Solved........ There was one file in the folder that was somehow blocking access. From now on I will try the files before I add them to the folder. Is there a favorite file for audio?

Ron

MP3s are definitely the preferred format. There's an issue with MP3s that don't have an ID3 tag, but I can't remember if I fixed it or if it's on my list of things to do. Either way, the fix obviously isn't in the latest release. Until el.wubo lost interest, I was mostly focused on the code that runs on the Roku. I've been fixing issues with the server, like this one, as I find them. I don't know what tools are available to edit ID3 tags on Ubuntu, but for now anyway you may want to add your songs little by little and fix the tags as you come to one that doesn't have one. I know there are some freeware utilities for Windows that will let you check your songs for tags, so maybe there are for Ubuntu as well.

-JT

0 Kudos
rodzroom
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"jasonsf" wrote:
Maybe someone can help me with this. I've got the server setup and the Roku sees the server. It loads in the folder structures but nothing loads. Pictures, music, etc. Folder structure but no media. When I look in the log file, I get something like this:

WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\2010\2010-02-27\P1060627.JPG. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this

Is this a security issue? Does the python user need to have different security privileges? Anyone know what user this runs under?

I'm running this on Windows 7. The media is on a network drive shared as a windows drive letter.

Thanks-

Jason

That's really interesting. Can you email me the log? (My email is in the readme)

You don't need to change the user that python runs as. I put in the security warning to alert you if someone was trying to trick MyMedia into serving files that weren't in your chosen media folders. It looks like the code that does the check may be confused by your particular setup so I want to take a look.

Note: Your configuration in springboard should use only absolute paths (ie, C:\blah\blah) not relative ones ( ..\blah ) which could trigger the security warning inappropriately.

Also, what version are you running? (the goofy characters on the end of the zip filename)

I am also using a mapped network drive (WinXP SP3), and have the same symptom-- all of the directory and file info shows up in the channel, but none of the media plays, and in the server log I get

WARNING:root:SECURITY WARNING: Someone was trying to access ..\A-Ha\Hunting High And Low\01 - Take On Me.mp3. The MyMedia client shouldn't do this

The actual path that it should be trying to access is "m:\A-Ha\[etc].mp3". It seems like it something is parsing out the network drive incorrectly and replacing it with a ..\ (relative path)? I haven't read through all the pages so I will keep searching the forum for an answer-- but please, if anyone has an answer, let me know!
0 Kudos
renojim

I'd have to look at the code to see exactly what the problem is, but I think it has to do with having your music_dir set to the root directory on M:. Try mapping one directory up from what you have now. In other words, if M: is currently mapped to \\server\music, map it to \\server\drive and then change your configuration so that music_dir=M:\Music. I know Windows gives some kind of warning about sharing an entire drive, but as long as you aren't doing something stupid with basic security practices it shouldn't be an issue. If you still don't want to share the whole drive, create a new folder (maybe called "Media") and then move your current music folder into that and share the "Media" folder.

If that isn't the issue, let me know.

-JT

0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

MOD file compatibilty?

JT or anyone...

My video camera saves its files in a .MOD format. Roku doesn't like this. However, I can rename the files from .MOD to .MOV and they play fine on my computer. However, Roku still doesn't like them. It can see them in the menu, but when you try to play one, it starts to load and then immediately quits, taking you back to the video menu.

Anyone know how Roku could either:
- Show these videos in their native .MOD format
- Show these videos after they've been renamed to .MOV

I'm not looking to do video conversion on my computer from .MOD -> .MOV if possible.

Thanks in advance,
umbighouse
0 Kudos
renojim

I'd have to say that if it doesn't play it's probably in a format that's not supported by the box. It can be pretty particular about what it will play.

Sorry.
-JT

0 Kudos

I had mymedia working fine but of late the server stopped loading. I tried to reinstall the client and get the error message below. anyone know what's going on?
-----

writing configuration
added ../client/Makefile to zip as Makefile
added ../client/manifest to zip as manifest
added ../client/images/folder_square.jpg to zip as images/folder_square.jpg
added ../client/images/folder_wide.jpg to zip as images/folder_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/livestream_square.jpg to zip as images/livestream_square.jpg
added ../client/images/livestream_wide.jpg to zip as images/livestream_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/media_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/media_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/media_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/media_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/media_square.jpg to zip as images/media_square.jpg
added ../client/images/media_wide.jpg to zip as images/media_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/music_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/music_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/music_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/music_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/music_square.jpg to zip as images/music_square.jpg
added ../client/images/music_wide.jpg to zip as images/music_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/nowplaying_square.jpg to zip as images/nowplaying_square.jpg
added ../client/images/nowplaying_wide.jpg to zip as images/nowplaying_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png to zip as images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_HD.png
added ../client/images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png to zip as images/Overhang_BackgroundSlice_SD43.png
added ../client/images/photo_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/photo_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/photo_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/photo_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/photos_square.jpg to zip as images/photos_square.jpg
added ../client/images/photos_wide.jpg to zip as images/photos_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/playall_square.jpg to zip as images/playall_square.jpg
added ../client/images/playall_wide.jpg to zip as images/playall_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/serverpl_square.jpg to zip as images/serverpl_square.jpg
added ../client/images/serverpl_wide.jpg to zip as images/serverpl_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/settings_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/settings_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/settings_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/settings_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/settings_square.jpg to zip as images/settings_square.jpg
added ../client/images/settings_wide.jpg to zip as images/settings_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/shuffleall_square.jpg to zip as images/shuffleall_square.jpg
added ../client/images/shuffleall_wide.jpg to zip as images/shuffleall_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/streams_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/streams_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/streams_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/streams_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/streams_square.jpg to zip as images/streams_square.jpg
added ../client/images/streams_wide.jpg to zip as images/streams_wide.jpg
added ../client/images/video_Logo_Overhang_HD.png to zip as images/video_Logo_Overhang_HD.png
added ../client/images/video_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png to zip as images/video_Logo_Overhang_SD43.png
added ../client/images/videos.jpg to zip as images/videos.jpg
added ../client/images/videos_square.jpg to zip as images/videos_square.jpg
added ../client/images/videos_wide.jpg to zip as images/videos_wide.jpg
rewriting ../client/source/appMain.brs
added ../client/source/appMain.brs to zip as source/appMain.brs
rewriting ../client/source/datamodel.brs
added ../client/source/datamodel.brs to zip as source/datamodel.brs
uploading ../zips/client.zip to http://192.168.1.105:80/plugin_install
multipart/form-data; boundary=----------ThIs_Is_tHe_bouNdaRY_$
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1410, in __call__
return self.func(*args)
File "/Users/andy/Desktop/netguy204-roku_media_server-1e9c6ee/server/springboard.py", line 224, in install_client
upload_client_zip(config, client_zip)
File "/Users/andy/Desktop/netguy204-roku_media_server-1e9c6ee/server/springboard.py", line 73, in upload_client_zip
post_multipart(roku_ip, "/plugin_install", fields, files)
File "/Users/andy/Desktop/netguy204-roku_media_server-1e9c6ee/server/common.py", line 102, in post_multipart
h.send(body)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 755, in send
self.sock.sendall(str)
File "<string>", line 1, in sendall
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
0 Kudos