Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canaws
Binge Watcher

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"mattpotthoff" wrote:

Doesn't work with images. (that I could tell)

My channel shows images fine.

I use the dev preview version though. Is image ability only part of the developer's preview version?
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"mattpotthoff" wrote:
"CRSharff" wrote:
Can anyone do a quick comparison between MyMedia and Roksbox?

Roksbox
More Complex
Looks just like Netflix channel on Roku!
Must tell program where you keep your files
Must create an xml file that catalogues all your files. (need to update as you add more files)
Also works with images.
Can stream 'youtube'.

MyMedia
Less Complex
Looks exactly like the folders on your computer.
Just tell the program where you keep you files (no xml file or need to update).

MyMedia:

Works GREAT with images/pictures. Has slideshow capability and you can play music from your library while you look at photos.

No need to catalogue anything - finds new material in real time.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

I didn;t find the already existing one but based on help from others, I was able to do this. I am now trying to figure how I can executing a pything script from an html page.. For reference here's what I added to the rss_server.py

class TnetHandler:
def GET(self):

HOST = "192.168.0.51"

tn = telnetlib.Telnet(HOST, 8080)
tn.write("press left\n")
time.sleep(.5)
tn.write("press right\n")
tn.write("exit\n")

return

at the top I added

import getpass
import sys
import telnetlib
import time

"Saqqara" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
"buaboo" wrote:
Thx for the info. Do you know how I would do this in HTML or Pythond (earlier I said PHP but really meany python) coding? I want to execute a telnet command to press left then right when u press a particular button on an webpage. I will ask this in the dev forum too..

Sorry, I can't help you there. My knowledge of HTML and Python coding is minimal to nonexistent.

-JT

There is a python based Roku Remote for the PC somewhere on this forum. Its source should point the way (if what you need can be achieved server side, not within the roku client).
0 Kudos
mattpotthoff
Channel Surfer

"canaws" wrote:
"mattpotthoff" wrote:

My channel shows images fine.

I use the dev preview version though. Is image ability only part of the developer's preview version?

I just updated to the newest preview version. There is now a line to specify image path. The thumbnails show up on my roku but I can't select them and have them display at full screen. I installed pil like the directions said. Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
mattpotthoff
Channel Surfer

I also see there is a section for mystreams visible on the roku but no place in springboard to specify where to pull information from. Is this going to be a place for rss feeds like youtube and possibly hulu?
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"mattpotthoff" wrote:

I just updated to the newest preview version. There is now a line to specify image path. The thumbnails show up on my roku but I can't select them and have them display at full screen. I installed pil like the directions said. Any thoughts?

I just updated to DeftAvacado2 from Deft Avacado to make sure we were on the same page.

My pictures are showing up and zooming fine. Pressing select on a certain image gets me a full screen picture.

I also see there is a section for mystreams visible on the roku but no place in springboard to specify where to pull information from. Is this going to be a place for rss feeds like youtube and possibly hulu?

You have to go to http://localhost:8001 to set up your mystreams. Right now it only plays mp3 streams. I use it to get my local NPR station. I don't know if el.wubo and crew plan to add video capability to it in the future. That might be something to add to the feature suggestion doc (http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHU2Mzd6UlVYLUtEZjM4cm9JZEc3bkE6MA). It might be possible to play youtube since they have m4v videos, but hulu is flash only (I believe) so there is no hope there.
0 Kudos
wpbear
Visitor

My NAS Drive has the windows Hidden folder Recycle Bin. It shows up in MyMedia is there a way to hide it there. Its is a hidden folder on Window Systems and can not be deleted, it comes right back.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"wpbear" wrote:
My NAS Drive has the windows Hidden folder Recycle Bin. It shows up in MyMedia is there a way to hide it there. Its is a hidden folder on Window Systems and can not be deleted, it comes right back.

I suppose the server (or client for that matter) could check for that folder and not show it, but wouldn't it be easier to not have the root of your NAS drive be used for your media directories?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Saqqara
Visitor

Nowhereman has some interesting thoughts on his blog at thenowhereman.com relating to local media access on the Roku. It doesn't seem like he has a channel forthcoming for this. Seems to me My Media is architecturally best positioned to become as simple to install and use as would be necessary for a very popular solution, but I have to agree with him, the hurdles are just too great for many people the way setup is approached right now via developer mode etc.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"Saqqara" wrote:
Nowhereman has some interesting thoughts on his blog at thenowhereman.com relating to local media access on the Roku.... I have to agree with him, the hurdles are just too great for many people the way setup is approached right now via developer mode etc.

I agree too. That's why I bought the Roku in the first place. I just got tired of constantly having to mess around with multiple steps to get third party software to do what I wanted to do.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos