Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"kc8pql" wrote:
"Saqqara" wrote:
Nowhereman has some interesting thoughts on his blog at thenowhereman.com relating to local media access on the Roku.... I have to agree with him, the hurdles are just too great for many people the way setup is approached right now via developer mode etc.

I agree too. That's why I bought the Roku in the first place. I just got tired of constantly having to mess around with multiple steps to get third party software to do what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the link. I agree also. I will probably have time to start tackling this soon.
0 Kudos
tyla46
Visitor

I'm trying to get this set up in Ubuntu. I get the server running and can get to the server through firefox, but it won't connect to the Roku.
I've tried setting different ports to no avail. I had it running in windows 7 with out problems but I prefer linux for this type of thing.
this is what I get in the terminal when the server is running:
~/.roku/server$ python springboard.py
writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8001/
0 Kudos
stspur
Visitor

"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
"DeftOne" wrote:
Is MyMedia doing any sort of scaling of the photos when it displays them on-screen during the slideshow? For some reason the quality of the photos seems to be significantly less than when viewing the same photos through the Flickr channel.

It is. Right now it's scaling only to SD resolution instead of HD. We will soon make it pick the right one for your television.

If you have an HD television and you want it to scale to HD you can open server/common.py and go to line 298.

Change

THB_DIM = THB_SD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_SD_DIM

to be

THB_DIM = THB_HD_DIM
FULL_DIM = FULL_HD_DIM

Let me know if that looks comparable to flickr in your case.

ElWubo

Made these changes and the pictures look great on my 1080p TV

Thanks

Hi Guys,

First of all I wanted to thank you for your efforts with this Program. I've enjoyed it thoroughly! Currently, I'm running Python, 2.6 32 bit, PIL 1.7 32 bit, and My Media: Photo2 on Windows 7 64bit and it works perfectly.

I'm a novice when it comes o programming however I would also like to change the photo scaling from SD to HD so I can view my photos at 1080 on my HDTV. I'm having issues getting into the code base for "My Media". Can someone refer me to the appropriate post or give me detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"stspur" wrote:

Hi Guys,

First of all I wanted to thank you for your efforts with this Program. I've enjoyed it thoroughly! Currently, I'm running Python, 2.6 32 bit, PIL 1.7 32 bit, and My Media: Photo2 on Windows 7 64bit and it works perfectly.

I'm a novice when it comes o programming however I would also like to change the photo scaling from SD to HD so I can view my photos at 1080 on my HDTV. I'm having issues getting into the code base for "My Media". Can someone refer me to the appropriate post or give me detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance.

You quoted the relevant post. All you need to do is go to the directory where you extracted the zip file and dig down to server\common.py. Open this file in wordpad, scroll down till you find the lines mentioned in the post you quoted, and change them to be like the new version. Save that file and then restart your server.
0 Kudos
stspur
Visitor

Wow, I'm a programmer now! All this time I thought it was magic you guys were performing. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out ASAP
0 Kudos
stspur
Visitor

Works like a charm! Thanks again.
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

"Saqqara" wrote:
Nowhereman has some interesting thoughts on his blog at thenowhereman.com relating to local media access on the Roku....Seems to me My Media is architecturally best positioned to become as simple to install and use as would be necessary for a very popular solution, but I have to agree with him, the hurdles are just too great for many people the way setup is approached right now via developer mode etc.

On nowhereman's blog I put this forward as a model for a mac application:

http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/

I have considered emailing the Little App factory about doing a Roku app and channel. They also make DVD ripping and h.264 conversion software, so it would fit well with their product line. If My Media could get close to this, it would be great.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"stspur" wrote:
Wow, I'm a programmer now! All this time I thought it was magic you guys were performing. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out ASAP

Hey! We are performing magic! 😄

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"tyla46" wrote:
I'm trying to get this set up in Ubuntu. I get the server running and can get to the server through firefox, but it won't connect to the Roku.
I've tried setting different ports to no avail. I had it running in windows 7 with out problems but I prefer linux for this type of thing.
this is what I get in the terminal when the server is running:
~/.roku/server$ python springboard.py
writing configuration
http://0.0.0.0:8001/

When you say you can connect to the server via firefox, is that from another machine or through http://localhost?

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"hammerpocket" wrote:
On nowhereman's blog I put this forward as a model for a mac application:

http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/

I have considered emailing the Little App factory about doing a Roku app and channel. They also make DVD ripping and h.264 conversion software, so it would fit well with their product line. If My Media could get close to this, it would be great.

What exactly do you like about Rivet? Is it the look and feel, or is it the support for all the iXxx stuff? If it's the latter, I hate to say it (well, not really), but I have absolutely no interest in iAnything.

-JT

0 Kudos