I am trying to playback a mkv movie on my ROKU 3. Around 7 seconds into the movie, it stops unexpectedly! I get -3 as errorCode and "An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected." as errorMsg. It plays fine in VLC, both as network stream and locally. According to the mediainfo below it fulfills the encoding standard set by ROKU.
I have tried to create the mkv without the sound stream and it works! I have tried to extract the sound stream and add it to another movie and it works! I have tried to add another sound stream to the movie and it works! Finally I have tried to extract the sound and merge it again into the same movie - it still doesn't work! I use mkvmerge V9.4.0 64bit to create mkv files.
General Unique ID : 195167630195914682908700985267381036181 (0x92D3EB16D1AB7CF08EB2BEB8D5F76495) Complete name : C:\inetpub\wwwroot\test.mkv Format : Matroska Format version : Version 4 / Version 2 File size : 4.00 GiB Duration : 2 h 3 min Overall bit rate : 4 655 kb/s Encoded date : UTC 2016-10-05 14:50:44 Writing application : mkvmerge v9.4.0 ('Knurl') 64bit Writing library : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5
Video ID : 1 Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4 Format settings, CABAC : Yes Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC Duration : 2 h 3 min Bit rate : 4 496 kb/s Width : 1 916 pixels Height : 784 pixels Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.125 Stream size : 3.87 GiB (97%) Language : English Default : Yes Forced : No Color range : Limited Color primaries : BT.709 Transfer characteristics : BT.709 Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Audio ID : 2 Format : AAC Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Format profile : LC Codec ID : A_AAC Duration : 2 h 3 min Bit rate : 157 kb/s Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf) Compression mode : Lossy Stream size : 138 MiB (3%) Language : English Default : Yes Forced : No
Around 10% of the movies I create fails to playback with this same error. Each movie stops at a different time, however the time where it stops is consistent for each movie.