Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
germix
Visitor

Microsoft Smooth Streaming - How to Play

Now at firmware 4.7 we can play Microsoft Smooth Streaming videos... the question is how can we play that videos?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
bandal
Visitor

Re: Microsoft Smooth Streaming - How to Play

We need a xml sample and a .brs file for the solution. Plus, what is the best standalone software product to create the content to disk versus live.

DA
0 Kudos
germix
Visitor

I'm waiting for it, but I don't know when Roku Team publish this. I'm waiting also for documentation...
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

0 Kudos
germix
Visitor

yeah... I read too... but where is documentation? When Roku Team publish this... Next week? Next Month? That's the question...
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

I have been waiting for this from long back and was very happy to see the announcement. But, still no info/documentation. I hope we will get it soon...

ROKU team may be busy in publishing few channels which supports Smooth Streaming format...

I hope the Smooth Streaming is wide open for the public and not restricted only for the premier partners..
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Hello,

Smooth Streaming is available through the SDK to all developers with firmware 4.7. To tell the media player you are passing in a Smooth Stream manifest URL, set the "StreamFormat" paramter to "ism".

videoClip = CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")
videoClip.StreamBitrates = [0] 'adaptive
videoClip.StreamUrls = ["http://playready.directtaps.net/smoothstreaming/SSWSS720H264/SuperSpeedway_720.ism/Manifest"]
videoClip.StreamQualities = ["SD"] 'adaptive, so make sure it plays on both SD and HD
videoClip.StreamFormat = "ism" 'indicates Microsoft Smooth Stream
videoClip.title = "Title to appear during buffering and in HUD"

videoScreen.SetContent(videoClip)
videoScreen.show()

We are working on documentation updates that should be published in the next week or two.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
streamingguy
Visitor

Hello Jon,

Thank you so much for sharing the code and making it simple for the developers to change from HLS to Smooth streaming. I have two questions and I hope you won't mind answering them:

1. In case of HLS streams, ROKU buffers certain fragments (I think 10+) before playing the stream. Is this the same for Smooth streaming also? Usually, when we play on PCs, smooth streaming has the fastest start time. This is the main advantage for looking into Smooth streaming.

2. IIS Media services supports composite manifest. When contacted Microsoft, they mentioned that Smooth Streaming Client Porting kit (which ROKU is using) won't support this feature and need to implement on the device using playlist. Is this supported currently on ROKU?

Thank you for your time!
0 Kudos
germix
Visitor

Thank you very much RokuJon! 😉
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

For all roku 1 users, we still need to have the streams available for HLS in addition to "ism"
0 Kudos