Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Max channel size in mb? 750k? 2mb? 50mb?

Or maybe it would work to make a shell private channel that is 49mb, launch that to get it in cache, delete it, and voila, guaranteed 49mb free space!
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

Really, I should just stop using my roku3 for development, that's not a good idea anyway, since it's easy to get carried away and overdo things to the higher limit, then go back to slower models and have to adjust things down. I had been using my favorite, the Roku1 HD, but it was emitting bad RF signals that hosed my TV reception so I had to mothball it after cutting the cord.

and if you want to see my channel it's here https://owner.roku.com/add/SZZY3 I think the music sounds fine, but you may think it sounds bad and not want to compress it like that for your channel. Ear of the beholder or whatever, I certainly don't claim to be an audiophile and they may have a lot of issues with my sound compression choices.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
Really, I should just stop using my roku3 for development, that's not a good idea anyway, since it's easy to get carried away and overdo things to the higher limit, then go back to slower models and have to adjust things down. I had been using my favorite, the Roku1 HD, but it was emitting bad RF signals that hosed my TV reception so I had to mothball it after cutting the cord.

By "Roku1 HD" you mean one of the "legacy" players at firmware 3? I was using one as the least common denominator for a long time but last year B/S language differences started stretching away more and more, with some in fw5 being tempting (like `.count()` for dictionaries etc). My "standard" target player has been (and still is) a 2XS #3100 though - as middle-of-the-road (it was, performance-wise), having GLES, 3xxx platform being very common and forward-compatible with 4xxx models. I agree, not good idea developing for the top model = get spoiled; lowers specs bring up inventiveness

and if you want to see my channel it's here https://owner.roku.com/add/SZZY3 I think the music sounds fine, but you may think it sounds bad and not want to compress it like that for your channel. Ear of the beholder or whatever, I certainly don't claim to be an audiophile and they may have a lot of issues with my sound compression choices.

Nice work!
I tried it and am much impressed by the demo play that happens if game is left alone in menu for long time (it shows a pre-recorded play of different levels), as well the tutorial hidden in Help.

I also learned that "% progress" indicator is shown on install of big B/S channels too, as exemplified by yours (before i was thinking only non-BRS apps - which statistically are biggest - get it and B/S don't). About how big is that bundle by the way?
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
By "Roku1 HD" you mean one of the "legacy" players at firmware 3?

2500X Not considered legacy. It's actually more like 1.5, but the model numbers on roku players are... confusing.

"EnTerr" wrote:

Nice work! ... About how big is that bundle by the way?

Thanks. The pkg is up to 4.5 megs now, this thread made me slack off on optimizing a bit.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Nice work! ... About how big is that bundle by the way?

Thanks. The pkg is up to 4.5 megs now, this thread made me slack off on optimizing a bit.

I was just asking for idea when %progress-bar is shown. Size does not seem unreasonable for a game, non-B/S games are granted something like 20MB, i think. I won't be surprised if reviewers have leeway on this, given the LRU app cache (installer issues notwithstanding).
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

For games the limit is about 50mb (compressed), the device won't store any larger channels. Please keep the package file as small as you possibly can. For most non-game channels we try to keep them under 760k preferably 650k or less. Obviously some screensavers are larger, usually 2 - 4mb, a few are larger.

Ideal would be if everyone stored their graphics somewhere other than in the channel itself, so that users aren't forced to sit around waiting for the channel to load (because the device unloads less used channels until they are called up again).

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thanks, Joel! - for the useful info and explaining the logic to it.

Btw i digged where i saw that 20mb number and i think it came from Marmalade's RTFM
"Roku platform guide" wrote:
Note - Apps can have a maximum distribution package size of 50MB for Roku 3 devices and 20MB for Roku 2 devices.
That's to be taken with seasoning (might be outdated etc). But i am so far, far under 20mb it's purely academic to me.
0 Kudos