Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
8ctave_HD
Visitor

Make REAL $$$ with your Roku Channel!

Hello, IPTV Heroes.

As a free, open-sourced platform for streaming video, Roku's generosity is second to none. Virtually anyone with content and a dream can have their own TV channel, and with hard work and determination, virtually anyone can make $$$ doing it.

But how many of us really ARE making money?

It's not like you're not trying, mind you. You've got solid programs, a decent subscriber base and plenty of motivation. The only thing that's missing is the advertisers, but for whatever reason there seems to be a maze of invisible roadblocks keeping you at arm's length of the cool kids' table of plenty.

Sound like you?

Of course it does. You feel just like we did 6 months ago. Back then, a turnkey monetization system that generated ad revenue AND allowed us to control our own destiny didn't even exist.

So we created a solution ourselves.

And now, in the same spirit of generosity granted to all of us by Roku's open platform, we'd like to share it with all of you. For FREE.

Here at 8ctave, things work differently. We have dozens of ad partners who actually WANT to give you money. LOTS of money. Right NOW. Our partners pay out THOUSANDS per month to channels just like yours, and it takes virtually NO EFFORT on your part.

We're connected TV's 'easy button' for turning content into cash. Interested parties can contact us through the gmail account below.

Our best to you,

8ctave HD
octavetv@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/octavetv
8ctave HD / FYDO / The BW / H*E*R*O* / FisHi / MULLET / SleepDiet / 911 / Presto / VAPE / Skope / Pro Bono / ScreamSaver
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
lion7718
Visitor

Re: Make REAL $$$ with your Roku Channel!

I guess this explains why MULLET turned into pretty much a waste of time now.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
8ctave_HD
Visitor

"lion7718" wrote:
I guess this explains why MULLET turned into pretty much a waste of time now.

It also explains why you get it for free. Channels don't run on food stamps, Lion.

😜

The difference between and amateur and a professional is whether or not you get paid for what you do. If you're a professional currently not getting paid for your work, we'd like to help get your respect back. If you're an amateur looking for opportunity, we're here for you as well.

Our best to you,

8ctave HD
8ctave HD / FYDO / The BW / H*E*R*O* / FisHi / MULLET / SleepDiet / 911 / Presto / VAPE / Skope / Pro Bono / ScreamSaver
0 Kudos
lion7718
Visitor

A lot of channels put 1-2 ads in somewhere, but to wait for 90 seconds..a min & 1/2 before you can watch anything...than to have it drop & have to wait another 90 seconds to watch something else just suck...JMO
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
Outraged
Visitor

I think I am going to make lots of money this way. But first I have to make a trip to Nigeria to pick up some money that was left for my by a distant relative that was a prince there.
0 Kudos
8ctave_HD
Visitor

"lion7718" wrote:
A lot of channels put 1-2 ads in somewhere, but to wait for 90 seconds..a min & 1/2 before you can watch anything...than to have it drop & have to wait another 90 seconds to watch something else just suck...JMO

That's actually an interesting topic, Lion.

We ran a FB poll asking how our viewers felt about where ads should be placed. The overwhelming response was to front-load spots and get the entire concert uninterrupted rather than break up the content into segments and use midrolls.

In other words, our research showed folks would rather get the ads over with than have the show chopped up.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, Roku Heroes. If ads HAVE to happen, when would YOU like them shown?

Our best to you,

8ctave HD
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

I don't think there is a good answer. Front load ads are great if you know you want to watch the video, but if
you're just cruising around a channel to see if you can find something interesting, it gets frustrating fast.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

If ads have to happen, then I prefer them at the very end of the content - that way when the content I want is over I can quit without seeing the ads. But then this has a negative impact on the ad revenue being generated.
So if possible, alternately, I would prefer to pay the $5-$10/month to not see the ads.
0 Kudos
8ctave_HD
Visitor

"Outraged" wrote:
I think I am going to make lots of money this way. But first I have to make a trip to Nigeria to pick up some money that was left for my by a distant relative that was a prince there.

It's a shame Nigerians get such a bad rap over a few rotten apples. We find them to be honest, hardworking and resilient.

Using a race of people to overtly call 8ctave's platform a scam is equally ignorant. Check the Channel Store and you'll find our group of unique, compelling networks performing quite well, and we don't use Venture Capital, Government Funding, User Fees or Fake Lotteries to do it.

Like the amazing box that enables it, the spirit of generosity is alive and well here at 8ctave. Our offer still stands.

Our best to you,

8ctave HD
0 Kudos
geoffandnoel
Visitor

I'd say based on the relative length of the video you give them 20% of the video upfront (just enough to bait them or lose them). If the programming is good and worthy, the viewer will agree to watch the ads knowing that's the "cost" to the viewer and the "reward" to the video for making something worthy. I think it's only fair to not put ALL the onus on the advertising end. Content has to stand out too.

One other idea could be giving the user a preview option up front. Watch one commercial upfront, get rest uninterrupted. OR Watch first 20% free but 2 commercials if you want to continue - something on a sliding scale but giving viewer choice up front.

By the way, I found you because of the Lava Lamp screen saver channel as I was adding new channels to my Roku. (I own a salon with my wife called Lava Salon).

Thanks!
0 Kudos