Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

roscreen & screensaver

So I'm trying to get with the program and am re-building my channel with the 2dAPI. One of the most obvious problems is the fact that screensavers won't run over a roScreen, so the screen just goes black. My experience as a user before i knew the technical cause was that something was "broken" - either the channel or the RokuOS, neither of these is very good from a dev or manufacturer perspective. Now I am finding that with the exception of audio, which continues playing, no processing seems to occur when the screensaver kicks in - "springboard" screens don't update, "slideshows" don't advance and whatever else I haven't discovered yet. I 'm wondering if Roku has any plans to address this as it really makes the system appear half-baked, and there is an obvious push from Roku to drive devs toward the 2DAPI. Of course I can send remote key-presses all the time to keep the screensaver from kicking in, but thats a bad solution at best.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
NewManLiving
Visitor

Re: roscreen & screensaver

I'm wondering the same thing myself. One user made use of ECP to send himself
A keypress. I have not tried this but it seems plausible Of course you do not
Want to burn in the screen If that is still possible today. So you would essentially
Have to build your own pseudo screensaver. That is my plan But I have not
Considered it too much at this time
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"squirreltown" wrote:
there is an obvious push from Roku to drive devs toward the 2DAPI.

I personally encourage developers to stick to the built in screen types unless there is a compelling need to do otherwise. It makes for a consistent user experience across the platform and will make your channel more intuitive.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Unless I am missing something here all I get
Is the black box effect. I use Aquarium screensaver
If his showed up I would be happy. But it does not
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Keep in mind that this is an roScreen we are
Using. Different stack different rules I believe
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thank you Chris. In my case, the compelling need is that I don't like the way the stock Roku components look , there is no way to change them, I'm far from alone in those sentiments and when this question comes up on this dev board, the most common response is "build it in 2D". I'm sure I can design a UI thats every bit as intuitive but the far better solution would be for Roku to make the stock components visually customizable. Roku should enforce the UI to make the experience seamless across different channels, but they aren't doing that by saying "Here's 2D - build whatever you want".
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

There are some channels, such as games, that can't use existing screen types. roScreen is powerful, but that power comes at a cost -- by using an arbitrary number of bitmaps in an roScreen, there may not be enough memory free to run a normal screensaver, which may also be based on roScreen and use an arbitrary number of bitmaps itself.

--Mark
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Mark, thats all very true, and as I have discovered in my very limited experience with roScreens, memory management is a real pain. But your answer doesn't address my original question. Screensavers won't run over paused video either - but at least the floating Roku logo will show. Having the screen just go black makes everyone look bad - the devs and Roku. I'm sure theres a better solution, even if it falls short of compatibility.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

Well I suspect that there may be something more than just memory although you
Make a good point. The examples I submit under 2d API wisdom leave most
Of the memory intact. At least that is what r2d2_bitmaps tells me
And I still don't see any fish. Unless that water is getting terribly mirky
I think that most people who use the API for applications are trying to
Present something more appealing than the blackbox. After all a great
Deal of work goes into it. Also the person who uses the API for application
Development tends to be very particular and creative. I don't believe that
This type of person will accept what essentially amounts to nothing at all
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"NewManLiving" wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing myself. One user made use of ECP to send himself
A keypress. I have not tried this but it seems plausible Of course you do not
Want to burn in the screen If that is still possible today. So you would essentially
Have to build your own pseudo screensaver. That is my plan But I have not
Considered it too much at this time

This is the approach I took in a channel I'm currently working on. I only use the pseudo screensaver if the current screen is roScreen based. The main problems with it are a) I have to keep track of user idle time in my code, b) there's no way to get the user's screensaver timeout settings, so I have to assume the lowest possible value of five minutes, and c) the box never goes into true "sleep" mode (assuming it actually does enter a lower power state during normal screensavers).

FWIW, screensavers do work over an roScreen on the legacy (3.1) boxes. You would think it could use the same logic with roScreen as it does with paused video, where it tries to display the screensaver, then fails over to the default bouncing logo if there's not enough memory available.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.